Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HornetJay

Nearly dead X11

11 posts in this topic

Went to go to my hospital appointment today, turned off the bike at the level crossing and when the barriers came up turned the bike back on and the bike turns on for a split second and then nothing everything goes dead.

Pushed the bike home and tested battery

12.4-8 volts so that ain't bad

Then I looked at all the fuses and they are fine.

But when I left the bike on with the kill switch off I got the FI, Neutral and oil sign on as well as the speedo meter.

Turned the kill switch on and what I assume is a relay was clicking theres two next to the battery that are mounted  it was the one on the right if your looking from the back of the bike to the front.

fooked relay?.

Might be, you can test it so that you take of the relay and connect those two larger contacts with jump wire.

Usually in relay there is four contacts, two smaller one that guide the relay and two bigger ones that connect the main current.

The most right relay is "fuel cut relay", second is "engine stop relay" and then is the "bank angle sensor".

Edited by Maintenanceman

I tested the battery and it wont charge any higher that 12.3V now, which tells me its either been cooked or a cell has give up the ghost, I have ordered a new battery and will volt test it to make sure the regulator has decided to cook the last battery.

My mate came around and jumped the started and still no luck, so everything is pointing at the battery and possibly a crappy regulator.

Piggin Heck Jase..Whats going on.Bike never did that when I had it.I must say though 12.3 volts  seems

a bit low, and I dont know how old the battery is either..I think that its a likely culprit ..Keep us posted.

I remember that I did once have a problem with the kill switch, but a good squirt with contact cleaner seemed

to do the trick,but when I had this problem there was no clicking noise, just nothing at all.

Another check would be a metre set to dc volts across the battery,at about 2000 rpm you should be seeing 13.8 to 14.5

or so ie a slight charge.Anymore could be a regulator problem which I imagine

would

eventually kill the battery...

Hi, Eddy, to be honest I was more annoyed about pushing the bike home, it wasn't far enough to call out the AA but fek does it weigh a ton when its not working, especially with an abscess I have in my mouth, I am in the wars  :sign10:

I can't volt test the bike running because when I turn the key it lights the idiot lights and wont do much more, its likely there isn't enough charge to even start the pump, I left the charger on for a few hours and the volt was the same.

I have had problems with the indicators, I think the bike really needed an owner to use it, which is why the lay up gremlins are coming out.

People slag Harley Davidson's off but this is the only bike I have had that hasn't left me stranded so far ( fingers crossed ). :P

I had a battery fail out in the middle of a run once, parked up for a ciggy and it wouldn't re-start.

I hate those gel batteries....

Was the battery, I've never had one just 'go' like that.

Still I learnt something that a battery can go pop.

Jason check the REC/REG before you use the bike or you may cook the new battery.If it knacked I would try JAWS as they have a up graded patterned one

I turned the bike on and tested the battery at 2000 RPM its showing 14.1 to 14.4, but I will check it every morning this week when I get in from nightshift after its had a good run.

That's great news, just in time for the good weather.

I was making the Harley earn its keep whilst the X was laid up and yeah its nice to have the good weather as I ride all year round  :thumbsup: