Leoratepi

Cam chain tensioner noises and CBRXX compatibility

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys !

So i bought an X11 3 months ago. It is from 2001, has 42000kms and full powered.

Since about a week or two, I noticed a little "tictictictic" from the right side when engine's cold, actually at the exact place of the cam chain. I immediately thought about the cam chain tensioner because 42000 wasn't enough for the chain itself.

I already tried the screwdriver thing to "reset" the tensioner but the noise's still there.

I managed to find a cam chain tensioner on the internet and I was wondering if one from a CBRXX was okay or no and if it is easy to change (I'm a big newbie in mechanic as much as I am in english.).

Finally I asked myself if somebody already have the problem and what he did to fix it.

(I looked over the forum but I didn't find the exact situation of mine)

I'm sorry if it is a double post (I won't do it again I swear) and sorry for the bad english terminology.

V to all of you

Love you.

Léo

Hi quest from Paris :)

I changed my tensioner last spring, got it from the dealer.

Part number is/was 06140-MAT-325 and if you google it you will get this (and many others)  http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-06140-MAT-325.html

That is saying that it is actually 1100XX tensioner.

Do you know that our X-elevens are famous about rattling when cold and it is clutch what is making that sound.

Next time when you hear that noise just pull the clutch lever and if it goes away then you know what it is.

If you change the tensioner, just remove old one (two M6 bolts) dont rotate engine, and put new in without removing that metal holder what keeps the piston in, tight the screws and then pull out the metal holder and put that short M6 cap from old tensioner. Then you are done.

Thank you so much Henri !

Actually I already tried to pull the clutch when starting the engine and keeping it still until engine's warm. But it didn't work ! The noise seems to have nothing to do with the clutch. I'm going to try to change the tensioner for a new one (found this site pretty good and cheap, I don't know what it's worth : http://makinaparts.com)

They seem to have camshaft end float when they are cold , also most BB owners that have had cam chain tensioner problems prefer to fit the X11 tensioner as it is more reliable than a BB one.

I wouldn't fit manuals, only on a VTR1000 Firestorm.

Why not ?

Got one on mine after after my original gave problems, then fitted "Jaws" after market one which lasted 18 months,ish manual one works fine had no problems been on coming up 3 yrs.

Obviously you need to be competent to adjust the thing.

Why not ?

Got one on mine after after my original gave problems, then fitted "Jaws" after market one which lasted 18 months,ish manual one works fine had no problems been on coming up 3 yrs.

Obviously you need to be competent to adjust the thing.

I just don't like them, I would rather stick a proper one on, no messing about for 20-30K adjusting them, you never quite get them right and in the wrong hands they can really cause damage.

Fitting them on a VTR1000 Firestorm is a must.

Hi Jason , I wouldn't have a problem using a Manual one just haven't needed one yet , In fact I will probably make my own !

Its down to the individual at the end of the day, but the Honda ones will be set at the right tension and not need ANY adjustment until they give way which could be for 20,30,40. 50K miles, Honda make crappy tensioners, but in the wrong hand the manuals tensioners can be set up wrong, and be an engine killer if they were to undo, and this has happened, I spend a bit of time on the VTR forum and these are essential mods, so I can see why they are needed and worth taking a risk with, but the rest of the Honda range gives you more warning than enough to get them changed.

Hi guys !

Just changed the tensioner with the XX one.

Works great, no noises anymore !

Thank You all !

V