Guest Karl Fitzgerald

rattling noise

16 posts in this topic

Need help, my high milage x11 given trouble, , after about 10 mins. Driving , giving it plenty of throttle I hear a nasty rattling an bike cuts out, let the clutch out and starts again noise still there but when I stop znd turn it off for a minute it starts up again without the noise but problem repeats again, , new cam chain tensioner on it 2wks ago so im thinking could it be the camchain itself, , anyone any ideas or similar experience ??

After about 10 mins driving given plenty of throttle, terrible noise and bike cuts out, , I let throttle out and it starts again, got home with noise still there , turn bike off for a minute and start it up and sounds o.k. but drive it and problem back, new cam chain tensioner 3 wks ago , high miles on her so was thinking it might be the camchain, anyone ever experienced this or any ideas ?

When you say new cam chain tensioner, did you put on a manual tensioner, meaning one that you adjust yourself or did you put on a Honda one which adjusts itself.

Don't keep riding in case ( if you haven't already ) you damage the bike, it could be a number of things, your need to describe the noise a bit better, also is there any smoking from the exhaust, blue'ish/black smoke?.

Could be the chain.

Check out the timing marks to make sure that they line up and then the chain.

Check out those chain guides.

I have seen this in one BlackBird after the tensioner change.

25082010380_zpsabe3f21f.jpg

25082010381_zps29b4e07f.jpg

Edited by Maintenanceman

Hi,

It is probably not the chain but it can be some part of the tensioner system. My own lost the plastic "slider" off the top chain guide (on top of the cylinder head between the 2 cam gears) which rattled a lot and made me think the tensioner had gone (again...).

I measured my cam chain and after something like 70k miles it was still like new...

kr D.

Its a manual tensioner, got mechanic to fit it and no smoke, the noise is hard to explain it gets louder with exceleration and winds down as bike slows (clicking type of noise) id have to listen to it again.

I started the bike this morning and the dreaded noise was there so I turned it off and tightened and released the screw in the tensioner then started it up and noise was gone but I think I damaged the slider previously, is it a big job to replace the slider ? Or any ideas about this behaviour of the bike ?

How do I check if the slider on the camchain is broke, , does it mean stripping the head ?

Sounds exactly like the cam chain tensioner to me, why 'O' why people fit these is beyond me, they are an utter waste of money, unless you have a Firestorm in which case you run without one and your playing with fire.

I know Honda CCT's aren't the best and only last around 20-30K but fit a proper CCT in the case of the x 11, or get someone to adjust it if you are unsure.

the normal way to fit the tensioner is to undo till you get a slight clacking noise then do it up just to the point that the noise goes then undo it half a turn, what should happen is that when the engine warms up the noise goes away as the engine expands.

Without looking at the bike its hard to diagnose but I would look at the CCT or fit a Honda one.

Do we really need three separate threads about the same issue?

Why not continue the first one, it would be much more easier to follow.

Sorry, new to this .

Had a good listen to the noise and its higer up than were the tensioner is, top of engine ?

Like I said in previous post about CCT, fit a Honda one, fitting a manual CCT on an X 11 is a waste of time, infact they really are just a waste of time, fit an original.  You see people fitting them onto R1's and Fireblades and such and I think WHY?.

As I said before the only bike I would fit one too would a be a VTR1000 Firestorm as on these bikes they are a vital engine saving mod.

Edited by HornetJay

Finally got it into the mechanic and its the camchain itself, , I have still to ask him if the though if the guide rail beneath the tensioner is damaged will he notice it as his method of replacing the chain is to cut and feed it trew and weld, anyone know if the guide rail is damaged will he spot it by his method and is there any way other than stripping the head to get a look at the rail beneath the tensioner ?

Hi Karl. (answered also to your pm)

You can see the lower parts of the sliders when you take away that lower cover off.

If you want to change them then you have to remove cylinder head cover.

Maybe also cam sprockets to make some room,  that front solid slider is attached by bolt from the lower part and "rests" in a notch from upper part if i remember right.

They can be changed with out removing cylinder head but it needs some flexible fingers an twiggeling.

Here are some photos where you can see the sliders, there is also chain guide under the head cover, that can also worn out if the chain is "slapping it" too much.

Donate some few £ to this forum and become a benefactor, then you get access to workshop manual  :)

Hope that these photos help

1_zpsay8fmyd2.png

3_zpsrgfwisdj.png

2_zpsgffbesny.png

Thanks, it is the camchain, , its in getting new one .