Guest marlo086

Turns over but wont start

37 posts in this topic

Hi, was wonder if anyone can help. I left my bike in the garage most of the winter, went to start it the other day and could hear it wasn't fireing on all cylinders, the bike then cut out and would stat again. The next day I tried again and it worked fine, I went inside for lunch, came out and tried to start it again but noting! It turns over and sounds like it should start but it doesn't doesn't even sound like it wants to start, I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key. No backfireing or any indication that it wants to ignite the fuel at all. I pulled one spark plug as they are hard to get to and it seemed to spark when I push the start button didn't seem very strong though. Any thoughts? The battery is fairly new and fully charged over night on charger just incase.

Check the "run" switch, dampness may have got in. And make sure you hold the clutch in when starting. Good luck.

Edited by Mick

Why is it important to hold the clutch in when starting?

For two reasons, first it takes a load off the battery so more power to start the bike ( doesn't have to turn the gearbox over )

and there's a clutch activation switch so the ecu knows it's been pulled in.

Thanks

I've never needed to hold the clutch before but will check the switch. So your saying that even though the switch is off it might still be shorting out? Usually the F1 light goes on if the switch isn't off.

Quite normal that those switches can start to act by time, for me it is like routine to spray some WD-40 in all when starting the season at the spring.

Check out also that side stand switch, is your neutral light working?

If the bike thinks that you have gear on it wont start unless you pull the clutch lever.

If the bike thinks that you have side stand down and gear on it wont start.

Check your battery if not it could be an issue with the injection not pulling the fuel through it does happen luckily I just got a manual today so I can have a look.

I don't this its a switch problem as the engine turns over with the starter and there isn't a fault light, the neutral light comes on, it feels like its not getting any fuel at all there's no sign of it igniting in the cylinder. Is there a easy way to take the plugs out to see if they are wet? Maybe it is the fuel injector not ducking the fuel in??

Don't think its a switch*

Edited by marlo086

Is it possible to you to measure fuel pressure?

How would I do that? Its really hard to get to anything with the tank still on

Maybe this will help.

Fuel_zps8bnkxduu.png

Fuel3_zpsayon5pqv.png

Fuel2_zpsiejq3tv9.png

Suck the old fuel out of the tank and put fresh in !

Hi, I've tried replacing the fuel already. Thanks for the manual ill try that today and get back to you.

Okay, so the fuel pressure is fine coming from the tank. Any other suggestions?

Try cleaning the stop/run switch.

Perform a spark test. Are spark plugs OK? Ignition coils?

going back to weak spark have you tested the coil output and if the H/T cables are OK.also switch everything off EG lights etc.

Edited by blueboy

Try checking the "bank angle" sensor, if it's stuck or faulty the bike won't start.

I fiddled with the "internal organs" on my bike over the winter, and when I thought everything was set, the bike just didn't start. Didn't tell me anything, it just didn't start, though it did crank. 

A little inspection... oops, I installed the bank sensor upside down  :blush:

Turning it the right way corrected things.

However, when it was upside down, I noticed the fuel pump did not do it's "wake-up buzz". Marlo said in the opening post that he does hear the fuel pump, so I'd suspect that the problem is not in the bank sensor.

Basically what we need to run an gas engine is: Fuel, Air and Spark. I believe air is not the problem.

It's hard to describe a proper spark, but it really isn't a camera-flash intense. Just a tiny little spark jumping in the gap of the spark plug. If it does give that, I'd suspect it should at least "promise" when cranking, or give "coughs" if air and fuel is supplied. Visible spark also rules out any suspects of failing stop switch, failing HISS system or any other electrical thing that prevents spark or cranking.

Then pretty much only thing left is fuel. Though it needs to be inspected if it's fuel pump, a clog in somewhere or something else, it does sound like it just doesn't get fuel properly.

Edited by mitch83

Okay, so the fuel pressure is fine coming from the tank. Any other suggestions?

How about that fuel flow test?

Spark plugs is one thing you have to check, too rich mixture can easily kill them (it has to be really rich thou)

Fuel jets can also get dirty and clogged, if the spark is ok and fuel pressure is ok it might be wise to take out those jets and get them inspected and cleaned.

Assuming that engine gets air like Riku also said.

Where abouts is the bank angle sensor? So many replies ill get on it this weekend and get back to everyone

Edited by marlo086

It's under the seat, green connector with two screws holding it in place. Also check the bank angle relay. It's next to the sensor. Good luck.