Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest mitch83

Direct brake lines?

6 posts in this topic

OK, since the original front brake lines are getting too short due to rising the handlebar, I'm wondering if there's any reason why I should NOT just custom make two direct brake lines to both front calipers? Current system seems to be done with simple T-coupling on the right side of the fork, but using just two direct lines with dual banjo bolt would be even simpler.

Again, I want to spare the originals... :)

To illustrate what I'm after,

OO

|  \

|    \

|      \

|        \

|         |

O       O

vs. original,

O

|

|

|

O-----O

|        |

|        |

O      O

I think that there is no difference between those two options.

I would choose the one that is easier to do (i might go also "de linking" way).

I guess the simpler, the better. I think I counted total of 8 connections between the brake lever and front calipers only... Don't wanna re-design that :rolleyes:

Could also try simple T-coupling solution, would be less hoses down from handlebar:

O

\

\

|

----O----

|         |

|         |

O       O

Well I'll report back to you once I'm done :D

edit: Oh, I wasn't considering de-linking. I'm just careful and easy cruiser, haven't got any issues with linked brakes anyway so I think I'll just keep it as is :)

Edited by mitch83

OK, learned a bit about the topic, and I just ordered a set of braided Venhill Quick Build brake lines. It's pretty handy, just measure the cable lenghts you need, pick the banjo connectors and accessories you need & assemble it yourself, no special tools needed. Wasn't too expensive either, 81 quids for everything I need between front brake lever and calipers.

I was also checking Goodridge Sniper II system. Funny enough, it seems to be UK based company, I couldn't find an european reseller who could supply everything I need. Always missing something. Found something from USA, but the price would have been almost double and I decided it's not worth it.

So now we'll wait and see if my plan works... :P

Good luck Riku, keep us updated on how you get on.

OK, my order arrived. The lines seem to be very nice quality and certainly easy to assemble. Started assembling them, and... Blimey! Made a mistake measuring one line, it's too short :D Missing a few cm's. I could make it reach if routing it the straightest route, but I don't wanna do that since it would look ugly.

Well not a big deal, just had to order one more line...