Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndyH

Mileage on Sport touring rubber????

3 posts in this topic

I have covered about 3500 miles on the Pirelli Angels fitted to my

eleven and already they seem to be past their best .As usual there is plenty

of visible tread left on the rear but its squaring off which leads to that horrible

squirelly vaugeness when tipping in for a bend.Its even worse

in the wet with plenty of bum clenchers when they are cold.I know from experience that it

will get progresively worse until I can take no more and change it at about 4500.

Seems to happen no matter what tyres I am running Metzelers,Michelins etc.

Riding without confidence in your rubbery bits sucks all of the joy out of riding.

In fact I am ready to chuck in the towel already at 3500.

I am beginning to wonder how some people manage to get really big mileages

from their tyres? I suppose the Eleven is a big heavy powerfull brute,couple that with

a heavyweight rider( no sniggering at the back there!!!)

,throw in plenty of throttle abuse and brake murdering and maybe

3 to 4 thousand miles is pretty good for a sport touring tyre.But whats the point 

in running a bike like this and riding like Miss Daisy??

What do you chaps manage from your rubber?

I got 5000 apx out of my RP2's and never felt they would let go. Now running in my new set of PR4's and so far am well impressed. Will know more when they are rubbered in.

My Gen 2 Vmax used to eat rear tyres for breakfast, 2000 miles was the best I could get but then I could get it  to leave darkies everywhere but that's to be expected from a 200BHP torque laden beast. The Pirelli Rossa Corsa's fitted to my BM were shagged at 3000 miles but they have had a hard life, replaced them with PRP4s, what a fantastic tyre for our damp, pot holed strewn roads. I'm on my second set of Metzeler Sportec M3 tyres on my X11 and what a tyre they are, I never pay full price for tyres, someone I know lets me have them for cost, I was first offered a set of M3s for £80 because the tyres that I had first ordered were Bridgestones and at the time had 4 or 5 days delay so I had the M3s and was pleasantly surprised how these tyres transformed the handling on my X11, nimble and surefooted is an understatement. I would definitely recommend M3s for the X11