Followers 0
AndyH

Oil Filter

11 posts in this topic

I have always replaced the engine oil and filter together .Always thought of

it as false ecomomy to do otherwise.

However the old oil that comes out of my eleven seems to be as clean as the

fresh oil that I am putting in!!

I am beginning to wonder if its really necessary to replace the filter every oil change and

instead replace it every other oil change..Am I throwing money away?

I only ask as its that time of year again and the bikes due its annual oil change.

Any opinions chap :huh:

I've always been old school, fresh oil with a fresh filter but with such a clean engine, I think every other change would be fine.

How many miles do you do in a year Andrew? I change mine every 5000, oil and filter. Maybe the oil comes out so clean BECAUSE of the filter? Just a thought. I've fitted a magnetic drain plug too.

Good points chaps...Bikes only done 3500 miles this year...not much I know,but I do have other

machines to tit about on.

I have heard recommendations to change oil and filters one time per year.

Official oil and filter change interval (here in Finland) is 12000km or 12 months, usually that 12 months comes first, this is from dealers "maintenance card".

If i remember right, some Yamaha bikes have 6000km / 12 months and filter change every other time.

For the price of a filter and how you buy the oil you may as well ( 4L ) change both, filters are what £12.

i need to do a oil change and oil filter change too when i get my back on the road very soon.

can anyone recomend me a good make of oil and a good oil filter to use please? not sure if theres much of a difference with all these aftermarket oil filters 

Edited by davepenn

I like K&N filters because you get the part where you can get a spanner on the front instead of a chain tool or a filter tool ( other makes have this feature ), I have had a filter I nearly tore in half when it wouldn't come off and only saved it without more work by using a screw driver on a VTR1000 Firestorm years ago so I have always bought a K&N, they are not a lot more if anything.

Oil, putoline is okay, but I prefer to stick in the best I can, your engine is the most important part of your motorcycle so oil should not be where you look to save money.  Oil whether you use the bike or not degrades and breaks down over a period of time, so you should do it at least once a year.  I usually stick Castrol power 1 in.

The thing is this with oil as well, I had a mate who worked for a well known oil company filling bottles for retail, you had cheap brand and expensive brand ( the oil companies ) but they both filled from the same nozzles ( or so he says ).

So its up to you.

I use K&N filters too (oil and air) and a good quality 10:40 semi-synth, I know some of the guys use fully-synth but I'm not brave enough to try them.

I change the oil and filter every 4000 miles ( the air filter being a K&N only needs washing)

yeathanks for advice jay and mick. the k & n filters seem to be only a few quid more and seem like less hassle so il get one of them,  and il give castrol power 1 a try, semi synth 10:40 is what i need i presume