Robin NL

Engine faillure

23 posts in this topic

Hi, i'm having some strange troubles with my x-11.

A week or 2 ago i went away on my bike to see a couple of friends of my 20-25km away.

Nearly got there, driving on the highway normal speed (130 km/h), suddenly  a small stutter and after that everything was normal again.

So i didnt give it much attention and arived at my destination.

2 hours later i drove back home, and around 8-10km i entered the highway, pulled the trottle wide open en reved it 2th and 3th gear to 10k rp/m.

Than the enige failed, did nothing no response died completely.

Pulled over en started all over, placing it on the sidestand, shift to neutral flipped the savetyswitch a couple of time tried to start it, starter going round no response..

Open the gastank, no vacuum, tried to start it again but no response.

So grabbed my cellphone to call roadserveses looked at my battery 3% left damn (01;00 am) called my gfriend to come and pick me up and bring her phone.

30 min later she arrived, showed her that the engine is not responding started it a couple of minutes, nothing.

Called roadservice, explaind the situation they told me they would send a mechanic.

50 minutes later he arrived, ask me what the problem was he turned the key press the startedbutton, 1 cycle engine back to live like nothings wrong!!! Damn!

Driving back home, next day to the dealer, expaind what happend it didnt sound familliar to him so he to me that a possebility was that there was some

watercondesation in my fueltank, so ik kept on riding it till far in the reserve filled it to the max didnt have any problemes till this morning...

Started the bike, driving to my work, the highway is 1 km away after 3 km normal driving (engine cold so no reving) driving around 100km/h after a few sutters engine dies.

pulled over again same protocol as before, nothing.

Called roadserves explained everything, 45 min later they arrived, i tried it nothing, he tried it and after 3 cycles it jumps back to live!! DAMNN IT!!!

So drove straight back to the dealer no problems, explaind the situation now he is searching for the problem but nothing yet.

I hope i explained it well, does anyone had a problem like this before? i dont want it in the future to fail on me maxing it  flat in a corner...

Made a little video when i happend, so you can hear the engine is not responding. 

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but when you start up the bike you hear a whiring noise, which I assume is the fuel pump priming, usually you should wait for the priming to finnish before you start the bike, I could not hear anything.

Could you do another video, do this in an enclosed place so we get better sound.

1. switch on kill switch.

2. turn on key ( at this stage keep quite no road noise ).

BTW flicking the kill switch on an off isn't going to help the bike at all.

Have you check for a spark from the plugs?

If this was an engine problem, you would notice the bike smoking or the engine wouldn't start up again.

Edited by HornetJay

I with Jason on this one there seems to be no priming but if you flick the kill switch like that I would check the switch after you check for sparks on plugs.Seems like you are not getting fuel into engine don't know if kill switch control fuel pump ?if the fuel being pumped you should be able to smell it after two or three attemps at starting.

My thoughts are.

If pump is not priming, then faulty pump.

If not then check plugs for spark, might be coils or H.T leads, the starter motor sounds healthy.

Do not turn over the start motor for more than 10 seconds, this will ruin it, normally should start no more than a couple of seconds.

The problem is in 99% of the case the bike is running as it should, sadly i cant create the problem, so difficult to do another vid in eclosed space.

when you call roadservice the have like a standard list of things,

- is the ingnitionkey turned and working? (yes i was just riding my bike...)

- is the killswitch in the right position and working properly? (yes is was just riding my bike...)

- is there any fuel in the gastank?... you know the drill.

That is why i flipped the switch, each time i wait for the roadservice to arive, the bike is working again, pretty frustrating, so i made a vid showing i did everyting and the bike is not responding.

At the moment the bike is at de dealer, he was a bit clouless to thats why i also asked the question here.

I didnt pay attention to the fuelpump sadly, dont know if it made any noise at the time.

I can make a vid there but now the bike is working so is the fuelpump, its difficult to search for a problem that isnt constant there.

but i didnt notice any smoke or smelled any petrol so it could be the fuelpump, think we start looking there.

i think that the pump itself works or its broken, if it shuts down temporarily its most likely bad wiring?

thnx for the replys so far

Also, look at the sidestand switch!  It will kill it all...

For example if you drive over a (BIG!) bump it can trip it. Flick the stand down/up and its ok...

Fyi, the fuel pump is quite unlikely to totally fail, in a way like this. Its not impossible of course, but I'd be looking at a few other things first, including "have you done anything involving the ECU"...

kr  D.

I have done nothing with the ecu, everything is original.

Sidestand could be, but both of the cases i was driving on the highway no bumps.

Maybe bad wiring there, iam afraid its a wire problem somewhere. Gonna be a long search...

I'd check the ecu and it's wires first as it may have worked loose. Hope you cure it soon.

Also, look at the sidestand switch!  It will kill it all...

For example if you drive over a (BIG!) bump it can trip it. Flick the stand down/up and its ok...

Fyi, the fuel pump is quite unlikely to totally fail, in a way like this. Its not impossible of course, but I'd be looking at a few other things first, including "have you done anything involving the ECU"...

kr  D

The fuel pump maybe fine, but its worth checking backwards, I only wanted to hear it prime to make sure it was, the fuel pump wouldn't work and then not if it was broken.

He could sit on the bike and pull up side stand put it into gear pull clutch in and try to start it.

These things are 99% a loose wire.

I've got the bike back from the dealer, he removed the tank.

Removed en disassembled the fuelpump, cleaned it and reassembled it.

checked the entire wireing, toke apart every connector regarding enginemanagement and cleaned them.

He discovered that there was corrosion on the connectors at the fuelpomp and replaced them.

I have been riding the bike to my work now, its riding fine i didnt hear a single misfire so i keep my fingers crossed that the problem is solved.

Thanks all for the replay's and if i have the problem again in the future i'll be back here with more details... thnx ( i am gonna enjoy the last sunny days here :niceone2: )

Great news Robin, what did they charge you for that?

Nothing, just bought it had 3 months warranty and was right on the edge.

When i had the problem the first time i was in my warranty and i made the complain, second time it was after my warranty but he still fixed it for free.

So lucky and happy me

That's one great dealer, now go enjoy the bike.

I've got the bike back from the dealer, he removed the tank.

Removed en disassembled the fuelpump, cleaned it and reassembled it.

checked the entire wireing, toke apart every connector regarding enginemanagement and cleaned them.

He discovered that there was corrosion on the connectors at the fuelpomp and replaced them.

I have been riding the bike to my work now, its riding fine i didnt hear a single misfire so i keep my fingers crossed that the problem is solved.

Thanks all for the replay's and if i have the problem again in the future i'll be back here with more details... thnx ( i am gonna enjoy the last sunny days here :niceone2: )

I thought it would be something along those lines, when I had my X 11 the fuel pump primed up it was quite loud, and I wasn't sure I could hear it in the vid, that's why I tried to get you to do another.

Glad it sorted, enjoy the last of the good weather its nearly gone.

Mine has started doing the same the last few days.

Managed to get mine to the genius guy who does my mechanics. Then it died completely, the fuel pump wasn't priming at all when you turned on the ignition.

Will keep you posted as to the diagnosis.

Hope it's just bad connectors as a new pump would be well expensive. Fingers crossed for you.

Fingers crossed

Awesome news. Thankfully I too had a bad connection to the fuel pump causing it to intermittently cut out. Nice an cheap fix, if only they were all like that. Lol

That's a nice Christmas present for you. Glad it's sorted.

In this sort of cases always check your fuel filter and fuel pump.

ive go tthis same issue, thinking it mightbe corrosion, i thought all the connectors for the fuel pump are plastic covered how do you clean them up?

its not a hard fix, I don't know what it is with Honda X-11's I have this annoying problem with the indicators where if you don't spray a little electrical spray then slowly but surely they take a long time to respond. get some cotton buds a toothbrush and electrical spray soak it and shake out the excess and go to town cleaning up connectors as best as possible.

Your be surprised at how little corrosion it takes to stop an electrical item working, I collect retro games and it usually only take a little electrical spray and elbow grease to get them working like new again, including consoles.

Edited by HornetJay