Guest chunky

ticking noise when warm......

15 posts in this topic

My x11 has just over 30.000 miles on her has always been serviced and looked after,but just recently i have noticed a ticking noise when warm? i have changed the cam chain tensioner but not cured the noise :wtf: its not coming  from the cam chain.does not get louder at all and is very irregular. I have checked the coils and the plug caps as it is a cracking type of sound.....completely stumped :surprise:

Edited by chunky

Clutch, does the noise die down or disappear when you pull the clutch in, also my engine makes all kinds of noises, fit a set of loud cans to cure.

As above....All Blackbird/X11s with a few miles under their belts

do the "clutch soft shoe shuffle" If the noise disappears when the clutch is pulled in

then dont worry about it..

Have you checked the Balance chain tension ?

Hi,

This is an old topic, but I have some similar issue. Did you solve this??

I cannot hear the noise when engine is cold. I think also its not the cam chain. I tired the reset of the tensioner, did not help, and also I ordered new one just in case. Maybe install it later...

I checked the exhaust manifold's attaching screws and tighten them to specific torque but that did not fix the problem. Maybe I need to replace the gaskets?

I can post a video on this noise later.

Edited by Jasmack

On 17.5.2018 at 10:25, Jasmack said:

Hi,

This is an old topic, but I have some similar issue. Did you solve this??

I cannot hear the noise when engine is cold. I think also its not the cam chain. I tired the reset of the tensioner, did not help, and also I ordered new one just in case. Maybe install it later...

I checked the exhaust manifold's attaching screws and tighten them to specific torque but that did not fix the problem. Maybe I need to replace the gaskets?

I can post a video on this noise later.

Here are couple of videos of this sound...

Sounds pretty good to me, maybe check the header bolts but watch 'em for snapping. A tissue test is a good move.

What's a tissue test?

A small piece of tissue paper, held in long nosed pliers and placed near suspected leaks.

Learn something everyday... and especially nice if it's something even I can do ;)

@Jasmack: If you find something: please post the result

Sounds ok to me... thought I heard a couple of temperature ticks (expanding /contracting parts) but I wouldn't be concerned. B)

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I will try the tissue test..

I will have valve clearance checked also on next Monday. I got 36tkm on my bike and do not know it those has been checked ever.

Spark plugs will be changed at the same time so if there is some loose ones etc. so that will be ruled out at the same time.

I will let you know if something is found.

It's just when you notice a new sound that was not there before makes you suspicious...

Good luck and clean those radiator fins! :D

On 28.5.2018 at 23:34, fast_eddy said:

Good luck and clean those radiator fins! :D

I was quite sure that someone notices that! :D

Next time I will post only sound!

Problem solved by changing the cam chain tensioner. Now the ticking noise is almost gone or at least much quieter.

Here is an image of the old tensioner.

It seems that it has been stuck or has been moving just back and forth on same area. Basically it should only go on one direction to keep the cain on same tension when it expands/gets longer.

Also the valve clearances were checked and all were inside the service limit. The service guy said that some of the valves were quite near the limit but no need to adjust until goes outside.

Spark plugs and air filter were also changed at the same time.

20180606_114120_small.jpg