Guest scubaguyjoe

Twitchy front end

9 posts in this topic

Having had this bike only for a few days now I have noticed (compared to my other bikes) that the front end feels very twitchy at low speeds. Its fine when flying along but feels like the front suspension is loose if I can describe it correctly.   Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

they are heavy at low speeds and I find it better to have the pressure on the high side other than that check the bearings and that the spindle is troqued correctly as you only just got the bike I always check all the stuff someone may have done in the past.

Edited by blueboy

Having had this bike only for a few days now I have noticed (compared to my other bikes) that the front end feels very twitchy at low speeds. Its fine when flying along but feels like the front suspension is loose if I can describe it correctly.   Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

If your quite short like me, then its to do with the weight not being fully over the front end, I get the same thing mate, it does feel twitchy if your short and not pushing down on the front.

How many miles has it done , Honda were a bit slack at putting plenty of grease in the head bearings , it may be worth having a look at them

Its done 7400miles, I’ve checked the spindle and that looks fine, everything seems tight and rigid. It’s difficult to explain but when I’m going slowly it feels like it’s loose and could make me come off it at any second, really twitchy is the best explanation.  I’m not sure about my weight being an issue as when I take my weight of the handle bars it seems to get better a little.  It’s fine at speed.  I’m going to get some new rubber anyhow so I’m hoping it’s the wheel not balanced correctly or something like that. I’m not confident on it as it is going slowly.  I’m not very mechanically minded at the best of times. Thanks for the replies!

Here Honda says for X-11 tire pressure 2,5 front and 2,9 back.

BlackBird 2,9 both, i am using 2,9 - 3,0 both and it feels better (for me)

I had some issues with front when i bought my bike, all of them were gone when i changed the front tire, it was totally new Maxxis, total shaisse to my mind (dont know if it was for motor bikes at all)

I tried some sports tyres once , namely Bridgestone BT014's the front felt like it would wash out at any time.

These are Bridgstone Battlax on it currently, maybe I need to change then eh? Whats a good tyre set for these bikes? Im only going to use it for short saturday runs and the odd trip to the coast. About 2000 miles a year Im guessing.

I run Metzler Road tec Z6 & find them very good in all conditions.

they have been superceeded btthe Z8 however this means you can pick up z6 on ebay at a good price ^_^