Guest bladeblaster

Rear wheel spindle removal

7 posts in this topic

Trying to remove mine and its solid, very hefty blows with a copper mallet are barely moving it. Am I missing something, is there a pinch bolt or something that needs undoing?

I have never seen any sort of clamping on a rear spindle before, so I am assuming mine is just seized in a bearing or something, but I just want to check before I batter the shit out of it.

Cheers.

No pinch bolts on rear axle, did the spindle nut remove ok? If so a block of wood or use a rubber hammer on the threaded end of it should help. Try using socket on the other end of axle as once its turning you should be able to remove it with a few taps.

No pinch bolts on rear axle, did the spindle nut remove ok? If so a block of wood or use a rubber hammer on the threaded end of it should help. Try using socket on the other end of axle as once its turning you should be able to remove it with a few taps.

Yep spindle nut removed easily, copper mallet had limited effect, needed a hefty claw hammer to even get it moving. Socket on the other end barely turns the spindle, its well and truly seized in there. Have sprayed loads of penetrating fluid on it, and will leave it over night see if that helps.

Cheers.

How long since the spindle was last out ?

If your having to give it a good wack to get it to move I would put the nut back on the end of the spindle so as its flush with the end of the spindle, 

hold the copper mallet against this and give the other end of the mallet a wack with a club hammer if you have one,

If you can get someone to support the other side of the swing arm with a piece of wood or something this may help. 

How long since the spindle was last out ?

If your having to give it a good wack to get it to move I would put the nut back on the end of the spindle so as its flush with the end of the spindle, 

hold the copper mallet against this and give the other end of the mallet a wack with a club hammer if you have one,

If you can get someone to support the other side of the swing arm with a piece of wood or something this may help. 

No idea mate, but judging by the state of it when I did eventually get it out, a very long time. I have only had the bike a few months.

I really do wish people would use grease. Going to have to replace the wheel and sprocket carrier bearings as well now, they can't have been done any good.

I'm glad you got it out unfortunately if you have not had it long your at the mercy of whoever had the bike before , Even if its seen servicing at a dealer in one way or another there is nothing to say that the dealer has greased the spindles.

How did you get it out in the end ?

How did you get it out in the end ?

Brute force, a drift, and a large hammer.

Not to mention a broken thumb when the large hammer missed the drift..................

I have bought a used spindle from e-bay thats in much better condition, replaced the bearings, and cleaned up the the bore of the rear caliper holder.