Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest edharrison

Stock exhaust drilling - dont do it

12 posts in this topic

Well I thought it was too quiet after getting rid of a Harley - drilled the centre with a 1" hole saw, very little difference, maybe helps get some heat out of the super hot cans.

Then after trying so hard not too - done all the decoration holes with a 10mm drill bit - I got loud but not a nice sound - lesson learnt.

Pleased to say I found two early bird orginal non cat silencers that will be here Wednesday,

Dont be tempted, buy cans or suffer the smooth silence!

Edited by edharrison

Been there done that & as you say :mad:

Aye, did that once to a brand new Motad 4-1, made it sound like a duck farting in long grass!

We live and learn.... so they say!

I've got SP Engineering cans on mine, I took the baffles out once but it made my ears bleed so I put them back in. Ultimately I found a compromise by just hacksawing off the baffle pipe that protrudes from the back of the baffle. It now sounds loud enough, but not so loud it breaks windows on takeoff. :)

I'm going with early blackbird standard cans without cats, I will do the centre plate with 1" holesaw just to give a little rumble, sorry to vere very off topic I have searched for what bulb type is used in the clocks as I want to go to LED, theres a few posts on this but no mention of type?

Edited by edharrison

Sadly the breakers sent the wrong ones, then said they will do as the ones I paid for sold!!! - with cats and scratches! Now Im left with a terribly noisy ruined exhaust and probably a long search for replacements!

Hi you could always ask if anyone got some in the TRADING POST.

Found another set of early bird ones - this time I am going to collect!

See if they've got the downpipes too, you may need to alter the prop for the radiator slightly.

Just the cans but in excellent condition, even the stand stop is there which was missing on my bike. Fitting them tomorrow in between rain!

if it wasnt for the shroud extending that prop by an inch or so apparently helps cooling when stationary as it gets a bit more distance from the downpipes.

Edited by edharrison

Just for anyone like me who tinkers too much - the earlier blackbird non cat silencers are so much nicer sounding, the centre bore is about 6mm larger than the cat types so is deeper, a subtle 1.25" hole saw to take out only the solid plate about 12" in results in a lovely deep noise which is not at all raspy or obnoxious!

Regarding clock bulbs - T10 or 501 and SMD type with 5 LED's fit nicely - one interesting point in case anyone gets the same, I changed the FI one and then it comes bright with ignition on then stays illuminated half bright when running - put the standard bulb back and the FI light behaves normally....