Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndyH

Bike Failure.....Supect kill switch

10 posts in this topic

Went to start the X11 today after a quick 10 mile blast, and it wouldnt start!!!!

No starter motor turning,no fuel pump priming noise,no green Hiss key light

coming on and then going out,this happened outside my place of business..

fortunately no one was looking, so I didnt look a complete tw*t..

After a few choice metaphors, unprintable on this repectable site,I set to investigate.

My first thoughts were the kill switch which I very rarely use to turn off the bike..but

on this occasion I had used ..lots of stabbing at the switch and turning off and on of the ignition via the

key ...and still nothing.Off with the seat to check for anything loose...all looked o/k.

Jiggled the sidestand and checked the connectors down there ...still none the wiser.

Getting a bit more worried now.. I started to sway the bike from side to side..I dont know why

maybe to listen for fuel or maybe just getting angry.when suddenly the Hiss light comes on and

then off,along with the fuel pump!!Pressed the starter and she burst into life.

I turned the bike off again using the kill switch and dead again.

I found that by pressing the kill switch to On didnt work, but turning the kill switch to on and

then pressing it with some force at its base would set the fuel pump and other gubbings to go

and I could start the bike fine.

I would like to know if any else has experienced this fault, and will a quick squirt of electrical

contact cleaner put things to right,or is it looking like the switch is failing and will need to be replaced??

Any help or observations chaps would be appreciated

Aye, give it a squirt with some switch cleaner.

Had this on one or two bikes in the past as I also rarely use the kill switch.

A quick squirt of contact cleaner may sort it in the short term but would be better if you can get in there and clean the contacts as the oxidation can be hard if its built up over time.

Might be an idea to pick up another kill switch from a breakers etc just in case.

Thanks guys.I think that I will start off simple by having a trip to Halfords

for some contact cleaner.If this doesnt work I will have to delve deeper with 

the screwdrivers,maybe sourcing a spare off tinterweb before I start delving

would be a good idea in case things go tits up...

I'm a bit ocd when I turn bikes off and on and I dont know why?.

Killswitch, ignition, fire bike up, lights.

Ignition off, lights off, kill switch off, push indicator canceller, check heated grips off.

However when I clean bike, I always use a little WD40 down ignition and in controls, been told not the best thing but habits n all.

Could be a dodgy killswitch eddy! and by the sounds of it, its more likely the case, usually on bikes that get stored up and not used.

Well,i ride pretty much all year round,so the longest my bike has sat unused is maybe a week or two

tops.However,I have only owned this one for about 11 months,and cant say how long it has sat

unused during its previous life so over long  storage  my be a contributing factor.

I have replaced handlebar switchgear before on other bikes,but have never actually disassembled

one to clean a switch..I dont even know if this is doable..I will keep you posted on developments.

Jason the wifes car was playing up the other week eg dashboard lights staying on,windows winding down but not up etc,anyway after she decided it was bollocked and a auto electrican saiding the same I fired the WD40 down the barrel and the key returned slightly when released and the car is aok now the wife pissed but the car not.All I will said thru is after you use WD40 cover the iin some good oil and use in the barrel so it does not dry out .

Check out those wire harness connectors inside headlight, with some WD-40 clean all the corrosion out of them, i use some electrical grease in them and they have been all ok.

Noticed some starting corrosion when i made my headlight mod.

I have changed few BlackBird switches because they have "burned" from inside but usually they caused low beam not working any more so only way to see the problem is take it a part and visually check it.

Jason the wifes car was playing up the other week eg dashboard lights staying on,windows winding down but not up etc,anyway after she decided it was bollocked and a auto electrican saiding the same I fired the WD40 down the barrel and the key returned slightly when released and the car is aok now the wife pissed but the car not.All I will said thru is after you use WD40 cover the iin some good oil and use in the barrel so it does not dry out .

Yeah I should put oil in the petrol lock on the X isnt the best, I had to free it up with WD40, the bike had sat for 6 months.