Guest Scorch

Perished brake line

20 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Just spotted my brake line has split the rubber where it passes the headstock. Braided lines are a bit steep for my wallet at the moment, anyone know where I can buy a replacement? Do BB lines match the x11? Better still, has anyone done the upgrade and has the old lines lying about in the garage?

Thanks in advance :)

Why not de-link the brakes as many Blackbird owners do?I believe a full braided delink kit costs in the region of a hundred pounds or so?

Full goodridge kit will cost £270 for the full 10 lines , A kit for £100 cant be much good ?

The £100 kit only has 4 lines i think

.It delinks the brakes so only uses

2 lines to the front and 2 to the rear

Perfectly correct....I have delinked my old Blackbird...Quality Hel braided lines, 2 to the front and 2 to the rear caliper. Absolutely no mush or squidgyness at the lever and I got to throw away loads of crap that was no longer needed.

I must qualify this  as the lines and banjos on the bird were in a shit state and the brakes just weren't working properly.My x11 linked brakes however seem o/k and I am quite happy with them.

Edited by eddyace

Looks like de-link kit then!

Please post how you get on and :pics: 

So how does it lock the floating calliper on the L/H fork leg ?

The part is replaced by a custom made  bracket which is included in the kit

this effectively locks the caliper in place the same as the caliper on the

other fork leg..Checkout the Jaws Motorcycles website....

I can imagine the insurance assessor having a field day with this if the bike was involved in a smash , not saying that this system doesn't work but they look for any excuse not to pay out.. 

WORDS  OF WISDOM,O WISE ONE :worship:

Same as any mod really.Upgraded shocks, replacement exhaust cans,different handlebars

even scottoillers and luggage racks all need to be declared to your insurance provider...Give them any wiggle room

and they wont pay out..

Same as any mod really.Upgraded shocks, replacement exhaust cans,different handlebars

even scottoillers and luggage racks all need to be declared to your insurance provider...Give them any wiggle room

and they wont pay out..

So true, the robbing barstewards . Bloke next door had a bad smash in his car which was not his fault,  as the car had non standard alloys fitted which were on the car when he bought it from a main Vauxhall franchise  dealer the insurance people refused to pay out for the repairs to his car......

Thinking this through Ken...What if you were in an accident and a third party got badly hurt,

and their insurance tried to claim from your insurance and your bike was found to have undeclared mods,

where would that leave you :huh:

I am no insurance expert but could  that mean you would have to meet any claim out of your own assets

because your own cover was invalidated?

Scary stuff if thats the case!!

Thinking this through Ken...What if you were in an accident and a third party got badly hurt,

and their insurance tried to claim from your insurance and your bike was found to have undeclared mods,

where would that leave you :huh:

I am no insurance expert but could  that mean you would have to meet any claim out of your own assets

because your own cover was invalidated?

Scary stuff if thats the case!!

Andy, Third party claims will always be paid out. They might ask you to contribute or chase you for the full amount if they feel you lied. :)

So just before I hit the purchase button, the bird kit is compatible with the x11? Same brake set up?

Edited by Scorch

I believe so..but that's not the answer you are looking for. :D

It's pretty close though... I've made the purchase ;)

Well I can confirm that the Bird Kit from Jaws DOES fit :)

Arrived quickly, 4 days.

It took me about 2 hours to fit this morning, although I wasn't exactly rushing the job.

The instructions that came with it are very basic, but then it's a very basic job as it turns out.

Essentially, remove anything brake related between master cylinder/ reservoir and caliper. There is quite a lot of it! I left the cable guide bolted to the yoke, simply because it also mounts the horn, but that can come off too. Just need to make a small bracket to remount the horn to.

Good quality gear, even some spare washers and bolts included. Looks very neat, nice to get rid of the cracking rubber lines that I expect have been on since new.

As it turned out my brake fluid was long overdue changing too, came out like old deep fat frier oil. Front brake is now much more responsive, although so far its only been round the driveway. I'll be taking it out for some more intensive testing later.

ps: Keep lots of towels handy and some water and a sponge. Its hard to keep the fluids off the rest of the bike, and Honda paintwork is pretty resilient, but its nice to be able to mop up in case of accidental spills. Also, avoid dropping the fuel tank on the end of your finger when pushing it back into place.

Edited by Scorch