Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest highboy_coupe

Help with coolant expansion tank draining!

4 posts in this topic

I'm trying to drain the coolant but I'm getting stuck at what the manual calls the reserve tank. The picture (6-5)shows the siphon tube being disconnected at the radiator top and coolant pouring out. Having already drained the block at the pump and drain bolts, there is hardly anything to come out the radiator.

Is the picture wrong? If I pull the tube of the bottom off the reserve tank it's going to shoot all over electrical connections and be a real mess. But how do I get the coolant out the reserve tank??

What is the usual thing to do here?

Thanks in advance.

I can't remember but I think I took the tank off the bike. The upper rear shock mount bolt did it I think.

Hmm, I have the rear of the tank propped up. I can feel the syphon tube where it connects to the overflow tank, I just don't know what I'm supposed to do. The rad is off now, so I just need to make sure everything else is drained.

A couple of nice surprises where the biggest spider in the world that fell out of the rubber heat shroud, and what I think was a small wasps nest tucked up behind the frame behind the rad!

Ok solved it. If anyone has any trouble in the future the picture in the manual is WRONG!

Someone had routed my siphon tube weirdly, so I couldn't pull it down, but essentially you need disconnect the syphon tube from the radiator and pull it down out from under the frame until it's lower than the tank and drain it.

The manual says to do this but the diagram seems to have it so it is disconnected at the expansion tank end, draining coolant from the top of the rad.