Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest SteveX11

Bumpy & underdamped front end?

8 posts in this topic

So, I'm new to X11s.

Had plenty of Blackbirds and Hayabusa's

Overall I'm happy with the bike, runs ok (typical Honda so it'll never set the world alight) and should be good for my commute, nip down to coast maybe.

My major disappointment is the suspension at the front...

At maybe 80+ on my motorway runs to work that front end seems to 'patter' up and down.

It feels badly under damped?

I've looked at the front wheel, there's no damage visible

Given there's no adjustment, what do you all think is the way forward?

Get garage to maybe check balance?

Drain forks and refill?

Is there any upgrade I need to understand and consider?

Looking at the top of the fork legs....

There are a load of washers on top, with a bolt in top?

It's got Renthal bars, so is this kind of thing a recognised adaptation maybe?

I have a photo but don't see how to post it?

I'm wondering if it been wheelied and damaged the forks as lads on here do a bit over 80 and I do not find the bike to patter,as anything the steering can be improved and start with the cheaps opition first eg air pressure,fork oil and might been look at changing springs.Give it a day or two and I sure there will be a load mmore ideas posted.

Remove the yokes and check the (weak) headrace bearings, replace them if you have any doubts and pack well with grease, even if you don't replace them. Give the forks a good strip and clean, check the free spring length and the bronze bushes. Refill with good quality fork oil (I used 15w in mine).

Check your front (and rear) tyre very carefully for anything amiss. I always replace tyres, unless they are clearly new, as who knows how old they are or how they have been treated.

Make sure your rear wheel tracks true, don't use the swingarm marks but use a straight edge.

Good luck! :)

Your washers thing sounds like some attempt to provide a degree of pre-load to the fork springs. You can get some adjustable tops for Blackbird forks which fit if you have a top yoke adapter, which you seem to have. I'd replace the home made ones, even get the standard ones, if you have any doubts.

Helpful post.... http://www.hondax11.com/ips/index.php?/topic/4325-fork-seals/#entry15381

So it's taken time to get this bike sorted out....

It's turned out to be a combination of a couple of things;

Wheel balance at the front was dismally wrong and once fixed improved matters a fair amount.

The bike still was stable in long sweeping corners so there was no confidence in the bike. The bottom of the M11 was a torment!

The tyres (Pirelli soft rubber) wore really quickly as the bike does a ton of commuting each week and I needed to get new tyres....

Bingo!!!!

Dunlop Roadsmart II tyres have transformed the bike!

Confidence is restored in wet or dry :-)

X11's are (imho) distinctly hard on their front tyres, a soft front tyre makes them feel fairly 'orrible (again, inmho folks, but believe me, out here it can get some serious welly!). Erring on the hard side isa good choice..!

kr  D

I have fitted Pirelli angels and they are great