Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest basilfloyd

Overheating Problem

6 posts in this topic

I've had my 1999 X11 since new and only covered 19,500 miles and it hasn't given me any problems until now!

I noticed the other day that the temperature gauge had gone all the way to the top and the electric cooling fan wasn't kicking in and the water and coolant started pouring out of the overflow pipe.

I immediately switched the bike off to stop it overheating and causing any engine damage.

Are there any known faults with the cooling fan or the coolant switch that triggers the fan?

Hey cats, you must live just up the road from me, I'm in Watford.

My vote for blown fuse.

My vote for blown fuse.

If it is Henri and I think you might be right...........................What caused the fuse to blow.............that's the question!

I have run in to few of these, also at least two in cars.

-Some dirt between fan and radiator, this is the simplest explanation...

-This is also possible, somewhere bad contact, that makes sometimes current (amps) to rise because that bad contact have more resistance than good one.

This can be also calculated, Watts (that fan motor) are always the same, if the volts drop, current rises (or tries to) 

These are most common things that i have seen that caused fuse to blow.

But, it can be also (over heating problem) 

-bad fan sensor (not so common but changed few)

-bad rad cap that wont hold the proper pressure (changed maybe five for different bikes and two for cars)

-bad fan motor (rare)

-fan dont have room to run (something there that doesnt belong there, or bike has fell down and rad is bend (seen one) 

-clogged radiator (never run in this with bikes)

-someone has used power washer and washed away those thin things from radiator (never seen in bike, in car two times)

-only water in the system, wont cool so much than proper coolant (our engines run quite hot) and on long term use can corrode whole system from inside (this is more possible when bike is in warm country so that you dont have to use coolant because freezing.

-bad water pump (changed few but quite rare thing)

These small tips might help....

Aaargh, just had to comment that question about what can make fuse blow... Sorry Paulus about long jabajaba  :lecture:  Hih.

Excellent theories Henri All worth checking out! :niceone: