Guest Viper1242

Chain (Help)

15 posts in this topic

Sorry if this sounds simple to some of you ( or I have missed something obvious !)

giving the bike a bit of TLC yesterday noticed there was no slack in the chain

put her up on the centre stand gave the back wheel a turn (no tight spots or catching) but when i went to adjust the chain noticed it had the right amount of slack ! (approx 1" travel ) turned the wheel again slack ok

turned it once more and in this one position the chain is really tight , 

chain condition is good sprockets are ok and wheel alignment is ok im a bit stumped

like I said sorry if i have missed something simple

Do you know how long it has been on the bike? miles/time or both?

No I dont , I have had the bike 5 months it was on there then i have only done 1500 ( i can check i have loads of reciepts and service info from previous owner )

The reason for tight spots on a chain :
There are no tight spots, only loose spots.
The "tight" spot is actually the part of the chain with the least amount of wear.
The rest of the chain, or the "loose" spots, are where the chain is worn the most.
Always adjust the chain, using the "tight" spot as the measuring point for chain slack.
If the "loose" spot/s are excessive, or you can lift the chain off the sprocket compared to the "tight" spot, the chain and sprockets should be replaced.

The chain gets "loose" spots (they're actually stretched parts of the chain) when the chain has been neglected and has too much slack.
The chain is "yanked" to take up the slack when accelerating.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Thanks looks like a new chain a sprocket it is then

If buying a new spocket read advice on forum about pattern ones and them not have the back coating the honda ones have.You may save a few quid to start with ,but members seem to go for OME spockets to stop noises.

You might try, remove the back wheel and loop the chain into a bath of warm diesel, ensuring it all gets a good soak.

Dry it off and oil it with hypoid ep90 and see if it improves it.

Scott oiler ??

Thanks for all the advice I will try soaking in warm diesel before I commit to a new chain and sprocket

Don't get it too  :hot: and set fire to the shed! :D

I thought I might do it in the kitchen sink :niceone:  !! but the misses wasn't impressed with that idea :thwack:

Come on Paul show a bit of common sense,take the deep fat fryer into the garden before filling with diesel and using .It may need a wipe over with a oily rag after use,but only if you are fussy about your chips or frnch fries as the posh folk say. :niceone2:

Normally that would be funny ..............but I reckon Blueboy wouldn't give it a second thought :eek:

The chain should have the correct amount of slack with the weight of the bike on the ground , or even better with you sat on it !!

True, best to set the tension with a big mate sat on the bike.