Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest standish honda

Carb balancer

5 posts in this topic

I recently did a 3000 mile trip and noticed on the back end of it that varios things were not quite right, there was a hunting feeling between 3-4500 rpm, the gear change was notchy and there was a slight loss of power. I decided to check the throttle balances. This meant either borrowing a balancer (no one had one), buying a balancer (lot of brass for an occasional use), pay someone that has a blancer to do it for me (painful process, hurts me to pay for something like that).

Was on e-bay and put in carb balancer as my search and came up with a very low tech looking device. Basically it is a tube with two ball bearings in, it is hooked up between cylinder 3 and the cylinder that needs balancing, i set the idle at 2000rpm and twiddled until the said balls were aligned (one ball is purely to find natural gravity the other sits in the vacum). It works a treat and for under a tenner. I now have a motor that pulls from 25mph in 5th all the way through to oblivion, gear change is smooth as Peter Andres chest and no hunting. I would reccomend it to anyone, iam not a seasoned carb balancer and was a bit reluctant but this thing is so simple, and it never needs calibrating.

Hi,

Yes, that will work fine, slight disadvantage is that you have 2 cycle round the cylinders a few times in order to get it right, (because one affects the others) plus you can get too much fluctuation caused by the intake pulses, however you could probably damp that out anyway by squashing the tube a bit! :icon_smile:

-You also check it at actual idle, plus the Pair valves are supposed to be disconnected while you do it. That said, I didn't bother disconnecting them either when I did mine last weekend and as far as I could tell they had only minor impact!

This has reminded me.. must post a question about those Pair valves...

br

D.

They were all done twice per pot, and the pair valve was disconnected and blanked off as per the bible,the pair valve is a swine to get at but it has to be done, understand what you say about idle speed, i checked it at 1000 & 2000rpm. Runs like it should now.

....and the pair valve was disconnected and blanked off as per the bible' date='the pair valve is a swine to get at but it has to be done...

[/quote']

You can shove some needle nosed pliers down the gap in front of the airbox, squeeze the rubber hose and secure the pliers shut with a cable tie. 2 pliers 2 hoses!

Saves pulling the bugger to bits several times and keeps a simple job simple!

ANOTHER good idea for all Eddy! Jeez...

I did think of blocking them (the pair hoses) in various ways, tiewraps, lockwire arrangements etc., but had only 1 set of long pliers so I gave up, no way I was going to pull it to bits & balance the tank on a brick etc. for that, I'm too lazy... .

br

D.