Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest funguseater

Spark plugs change

9 posts in this topic

I am about the change the spark plugs on the X11. I dont get the "how to remove petrol tank and spark plugs" thread a this is totally opposite to the service manual, where you just have to move the radiator forward and go in from the front of the engine. Removing the petrol tank is not mentioned.

Is it easier to remove petrol tank/airfilter box and go in from the top ?

I'd rather not take off the air filter box unless I really have to !

It is easier to remove the petrol tank.

I think that there is not enough room if you go behind the radiator.

Here are the instructions and when you do it you can see the lack of the room your self.

It is good to inspect the air cleaner at the same time.

http://www.hondax11.com/ips/index.php?/topic/9430-how-to-remove-the-fuel-tank-and-change-spark-plugs-air-filter-etc/?hl=spark

Edited by Maintenanceman

Henri......................As usual great pictures and excellent procedures................................however

I have successfully propped the tank up with a bit of wood without disconnecting any fuel lines or connections both on the x and the Blackbird

The larger "bit of wood" is for lifting and holding the rear of the tank ........this I use on the Blackbird but not sure about the X11

The smaller sophisticated tool number AE 987654321 Tank Lifter

I have used on both Bikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no disconnections and no unplugging

Attached Thumbnails
  • Tank props (Large).JPG

You are right, i removed it because that way it was easier to take photos etc.

That makes sense Henri

I was a little concerned that if Martin had to start unplugging/disconnecting that he might look like this :eek:  :yikes:

Have to add that when i was working as a mechanic, it was more straight and maybe faster to remove the tank.

Sometimes there is plenty room to change plugs and air cleaner and maybe get access to balance plugs.

Sometimes, even when there is that "hinge" on the back of the tank and you can lift the tank from the front, there is no room to make those things and that lifting makes only hoses and wires removing possible.

So, for me it is more straight job to lift the tank away and put it somewhere safe place.

well, I cheated and took it to Grantham Honda, who did the job for an hours labour which I was well happy to pay. When I got the bike back I avoided the :yikes: face and ended up dancing like this  :banana:

As a bonus, it got rid of the erratic tickover it now is rock solid at 1100 revs ! And she is much happier round town at 30mph now.

Just double checking, is it ok to ride the bike with the plastic shroud and grill off. I know they offer a bit of extra support for the rad, but I quite like the look of the bike with the radiator and hoses showing.

Hi Martin

yes its OK to ride without cowling but you may find that the bike is a bit wheelie happy as the cowling acts a aerofold to keep the beast planted.Bry

Edited by blueboy

Hi Martin

yes its OK to ride without cowling but you may find that the bike is a bit wheelie happy as the cowling acts a aerofold to keep the beast planted.Bry

Bry!...............Would it also make the front end a bit light and vague into bends etc?:huh:

The reason I ask is when I first got my Blackbird I had no front end confidence at all and when I got the forks powder coated and refitted them they had been set too high, throwing weight rearwards

I also put a softer front tyre on to improve grip plus a jack up kit throwing weight forward..............Now it's well planted and remember this is a bike with a fair bit of nose weight to start with