Guest funguseater

X11 seat not locating properly - see picture

42 posts in this topic

As Bry says above!

ALL Blackbird subframes are slightly twisted where constant use of pillions has been the case. This results in hangers/end cans being lower at one side to the other

Your approximation of about half an inch seems about right.

I am a little suprised that it is the RHS can that is lower as most pillions mount and dismount from the nearside.

Both myself and my partner are right handed so I wouldn't know if left handed pillions may mount and dismount from the offside (perhaps someone left handed on the forum could answer this)

I improved the Blackbird twist by loosening all the subframe mounting bolts and hanger bolts then "untwisted the frame"  tugging on one side pulling on the other then re tightened all the bolts

My X11 has no twist in the subframe leading me to believe that previous owners were solo

Hope this helps Martin

paulus,  thanks for that information. Now I have managed to near enough get rid of that gap at the back of the seat (see photo) so am well pleased with that. About the silencers, well I have a theory that the rhs scorpion may be out.

I have sourced 2 original exhausts off fleabay in excellent condition. I have held one up to where it is mounted and it looks to sit a bit higher. I am not going to fit them yet as I am waiting for 2 clamps and sleeves from lings (doh, didnt realise the originals were thicker).

Will let you know the result when fitted. If it dont work, will try your method with the subrame !

Wow, i am having so much fun with this bike :rock-on: took the wife out today over 100 miles and she goes really well. Jetwashed the bike before putting away in the garage and then it rained. MAJOR RESULT :rock-on:  :rock-on:  :rock-on:

sorry , cant seem to post the picture but anyway there is hardly any gap now !

sorry , cant seem to post the picture but anyway there is hardly any gap now !

I'm pleased your chuffed with the bike Martin. All second hand machines have things that need fettling and clearly yours is no exception. This is part of the enjoyment of owning one

Next time you need anything try asking here first as I have a pair of OEM Silencers hanging from the garage wall and will still be hanging there this time next year

Just out of interest Martin, did you buy the pre cat cans or the cat cans?

It's also great to hear that your wife likes the bike too as many a partner doesn't.  I am also lucky that her indoors enjoys bikes

It is suggested that the stainless steel was better quality on the pre cat cans and that they are lighter by a bit.

Also the cat area of the cans get very hot and discolour very quickly. I use a dremmel with a cotton wheel and polish to rid the discolouration

TBH I can't wait to change the OEM's for another set of Two Brothers Racing cans and link pipes...............Saving up as we speak :icon_biggrin:

It is suggested that the stainless steel was better quality on the pre cat cans and that they are lighter by a bit.

Also the cat area of the cans get very hot and discolour very quickly. I use a dremmel with a cotton wheel and polish to rid the discolouration

TBH I can't wait to change the OEM's for another set of Two Brothers Racing cans and link pipes...............Saving up as we speak :icon_biggrin:

so do you mean the catalytic bit is in the silencer itself, and if so how do you know if you have cat cans or pre cat cans ?

The ones I have obtained are not discoloured, and look very good quality ^_^

I like the originals, they look mean and loads better than the scorpions ! Ill take a look at the 2 brothers cans

I agree Martin that the original cans do look great but they are incredibly heavy compared to aftermarket offerings and they really are a pain to keep clean

The cans with catylic converters on them are fatter just before the main silencer itself. I will see if I have a picture somewhere of the difference

post-1482-0-30893100-1359322465_thumb.jpg

post-1482-0-06020200-1359323281_thumb.jpg      Just below rider footpeg to the main silencer you will see with the injection Blackbird the fatter link pipe containing the

catylitic converterpost-1482-0-05410600-1359323712_thumb.jpg    Non catylitic silencer

Edited by paulus

mine are fatter, so must be cat version. Will fit and see how it goes and will keep an eye on the discolouration.

Thanks for the info mate

Yes Martin the seat looks right to me,I'm take it the seat unit is locking down ok now .Bry

Yes Martin the seat looks right to me,I'm take it the seat unit is locking down ok now .Bry

yes Bry, all is good now just by moving the strengthening bracket UNDER the seat cowl instead of over. Finally got there mate thanks to this forum !

ALL Blackbird subframes are slightly twisted where constant use of pillions has been the case. This results in hangers/end cans being lower at one side to the other

I am a little suprised that it is the RHS can that is lower as most pillions mount and dismount from the nearside.

I am little bit confused now.

BB cans are attached to the hangers that hangs from the sub frame, right?

X-11 cans are attached to the bracket that comes from the frame, not sub frame.

I had some issues with adjusting my cans, specially those Yoshimuras because the "connection tube" is attached solid to the can and it is angled comparing to the can. Ok, small twist from the end of the can cause the end rise or get lower, i had to try several times so that after the tightening all the bolts those ends of the cans were on same height, took about four try`s.

I am little bit confused now.

BB cans are attached to the hangers that hangs from the sub frame, right?

X-11 cans are attached to the bracket that comes from the frame, not sub frame.

I had some issues with adjusting my cans, specially those Yoshimuras because the "connection tube" is attached solid to the can and it is angled comparing to the can. Ok, small twist from the end of the can cause the end rise or get lower, i had to try several times so that after the tightening all the bolts those ends of the cans were on same height, took about four try`s.

Henri

In view of what you have said here I rushed out to the garage to take a look and YES HENRI you are quite correct (to my suprise) :surprise:

In that case I believe that your explanation seems most likely

When I put the TBR cans on the X11 I could move them quite a lot through the link pipes "connection tube"

SO Martin please ignore my suggestion above as Henri has proved it to be complete bollocks although he is too polite to say so :biggrin3d:

I think Henri would agree that you should assemble everything first then tighten up.

Henri

In view of what you have said here I rushed out to the garage to take a look and YES HENRI you are quite correct (to my suprise) :surprise:

In that case I believe that your explanation seems most likely

When I put the TBR cans on the X11 I could move them quite a lot through the link pipes "connection tube"

SO Martin please ignore my suggestion above as Henri has proved it to be complete bollocks although he is too polite to say so :biggrin3d:

I think Henri would agree that you should assemble everything first then tighten up.

Not polite, just diplomatic :wave:  (just kidding)

Assemble and adjust and adjust again, as many times as it requires and it should be good.

Back from Gran Canaria with mid twenties temperatures to freezing temps and snow across the A69. Glad you sorted the seat locating problem.

Back from Gran Canaria with mid twenties temperatures to freezing temps and snow across the A69. Glad you sorted the seat locating problem.

Welcome back to the UK andy must ave been quite a shock ! :rock-on: