Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DubX11

More clutch noises

7 posts in this topic

Hi Lads,

Hope everyone had a good christmas and managed to fit a run in in between the wind and rain.

I was able to get out for a short run and the bike performed normally even after the couple of months laid up until I got back to the garage. The bike has the typical clutch rattle that did disappear when the clutch was held in but now when I hold the clutch in I can hear a higher pitched rattle/noise coming from the clutch.

I'm thinking its probably a dry bearing. Anyone have any ideas or advice on how to figure out exactly what's making the noise and how to go about sorting it (not asking much..ha ha).

Cheers and all the best for the new year.

Maybe cam chain and tensioner is making that noise?

I hope not but will investigate further.  The noise only happens when i pull the clutch in and it appears to be coming from directly behind the clutch cover.  I did do an oil change, 10w40 semi, just before i laid her up a few months back and i don't know what the previous owner used so might drop it again and see what happens.

Cheers.

Changing the oil type and brand could make the difference, last time when i changed the oils i used Yamalube 4-FS 15W-50 oil.

Hah, i know that it might not be suitable because it is Yamaha oil...... Ok, it was free for me so thats why i took the risk.

Said on the label that it reduces clutch noises and makes the trans work smoother, might be true maybe it runs more quietly.

Maintenanceman ... don't often drop by the forum .. but did .. and wanted to reply to your thread .. noticed your lived in Finland .. a pretty cold place ..

If you read the manual you will find that there are temperature ranges offered in spec for different oil grades .. I'd hazard a guess that 15/50 might be too heavy a grade to be used in your climate .. unless you use in summer only and never run the engine up in the cold ..

Maintenanceman ... don't often drop by the forum .. but did .. and wanted to reply to your thread .. noticed your lived in Finland .. a pretty cold place ..

If you read the manual you will find that there are temperature ranges offered in spec for different oil grades .. I'd hazard a guess that 15/50 might be too heavy a grade to be used in your climate .. unless you use in summer only and never run the engine up in the cold ..

Yeah, i am very aware of that. Never run cold engine and only summer use.

We can look this also other way around, engine and oil temps, when on normal running temp, are basically regulated by thermostats and doesnt change so much by the climate.

If i remember right those sae things, 15w means that oil is at -25c on that edge that engine can pump it (5w = -35c).

That 50 means that in +100c oil is thicker than 30 or 40 grade at the same temp.

Hi,

I think the noise is caused by a lifter bearing inside of clutch case.

The bearing is not expensive, and you can replace it when changing engine oil because you need to drain the engine oil to change the bearing.

You can refer to the [section 9] in the workshop manual.

Thank you.

Edited by safetime