Followers 0
Guest catsx11

Rubbers...

9 posts in this topic

Time has come to change again!

Now I've done the Archive bit and have a come to the decision to

possibly getting Metzeler Roadtec Z6's.

On the x11 I have kept to the old BT57's and BT020's with 180 rears, (which

I have been really happy with) but have also used (on another bike, Diablo's - which I

thought were superb for the bike they went on,

but unless someone says otherwise - I'm not sure they'll be

suited to the x11)

I'm now thinking Z6's with a 190 section. I know the old girl has a rear built for 180's but

they'll fit. I understand the cross curvature will alter causing a 'smaller contact patch, but

does any one have any thoughts on this?

curiousopenmindedcats

I've got a BT 021 on the rear, and it is a better tyre than the 020 in my opinion - I'll use the same again when needed.

You're better using the correct size of tyre for the rim - a 190 may slow down the steering.

Pete

Right, worst case senario time... based on many years of hearing woefull tales.

Some git crashes into you and the bike's a right off sitting in some yard... the insurance (gestapo) inspector (who's trained to spot these things) notices an "Unapproved size of tyre" on your bike... guess the likely outcome.

Oh... I like the z6's btw... right sized ones!

Good point...not thought of that!

It was a case of - hey look at my fat rear tyre - reasoning!

180's it is then!

did some Googling and came across this which is a good informative read. It alsomentions

that a similar artical/letter was written on an x11 site forum. Was it this one?

Have a read... bloody good and honest!

http://www.bike-pix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6455

informativecats

If my memory serves me there are some threads in the archive apertaining to tyres, think Metz are the tyre of chioce for mr Lycheed.

Getting a new rear tyre tomorrow it will be a ...... Z6.

I have been running a Z6 on the front with a Macadam 90 on the rear, but its finally time for a change. When I put the Z6 on the front it gave more feed back than the original Macadam & made me feel more confident with the front end, not that I had experienced any problems with the Macadam 90 it just felt different but better.

Some may frown on the fact I used a combination of tyres from different manufacturers for a time but I do not like throwing money away just so my tyres match, leave that to the Power Rangers.

I will let you know what I think of the new Z6 on the rear once its scrubbed in.

Cheere Wayne.

New Z6 fitted & new chain+sprockets, been out for a run to settle things back in, bike feels slghtly smoother than before on the turn in & on the way out of a bend, not really put any power through yet though.

Wayne.

I've long been a supporter of Z6s - excellent turn-in, even wear, and excellent dry and wet grip. I found little to no difference on the road to the superpsorts tyres I had been using previously.

190s fit but in actual fact you won't get much of a bigger boot by fitting one (I think there is only actually 5mm or so of difference between them). I used 190s for a while about five years ago as I found that with the supersports tyres I was at the time, they generally felt better and wore more evenly than 180s when riding with a passenger and luggage (which was my 99% use pattern at the time). That was more a fault with the choice of tyre than anything else. Sport touring rubber has advance a lot since then - arguably to the point of making the supersports tyre redundant on the road. Fit decent sport-touring rubber and a 180 is definately the best bet.

When you fit new tyres, always give them a rub with course sandpaper to remove the releasing agent from the surface of the tyre. Then drive reasonably carefully for about 50 miles, and you will be fine. Alternatively, do a nice burnout.

Pete