Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest phpbiker

Head Bearings Centre Notch

5 posts in this topic

Bikes past its MOT, after all a Honda with less that 8.5K on it in perfect nick .. 

But I got an advisory that there is a centre notch in the head bearings .. 

I can actually feel this myself when I get the kid to sit back on the bike with it on its centre stand .. 

But the notch is absolutely perfect dead centre .. the bike is always stored with the steering lock on .. its got a low mileage .. 

I've never seen this before on any bike .. I can't be by design surely .. 

How does this happen, anyone else seen this on these bikes? 

It could have been in a bump of some kind such as running into something, my mate used to park his bike in his garage and always used to nudge the garage wall with the front wheel, after a while he developed a notchy head race. He never knew if it was his parking that caused it.

As Ken said its could have been cause by running into something or I would think with being dead centre a pot hole or two when you going straight down the road,As such a low mileage just made sure you work the steering on centre stand wheel in the air to double check it not dried grease or grit in there (not much chance but you never know) anyway it proves that your moter is on the ball,which I think is good.

They always notch at 12 0'clock and its low mileage to be suffering so soon but i'm afraid it will affect low speed handling. The bearings really need to be replaced.Bit of a messy job but Eddy or someone i'm sure has detailed replacement somewhere on the forum. Replace the Honda ball races with taper roller bearings they will last nuch longer. Mr Honda didn't like getting his hands dirty and used minimal grease. Normally go around 12000 miles if never regreased from new.

+rse ... thanks guys ...

It might explain some handling issues I thought I noticed ... perhaps like being a little bit over stable .. 

The bike has the slightest dent in the tank where the riders nuts might be .. so it might have had a low speed shunt .. no other damage rides very straight etc .. 

Taper rollers .. arch .. I hate this bl__dy job ..lol