Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dwr

Slightly clunky on the overrun

7 posts in this topic

Interesting one for you gentlemen;

My X (quite high mileage) has an annoying minor clunkiness (best way i can describe it) on the overrun at lower speeds (under 45mph) and when not revving very high (i.e. gentle downchanges, say in traffic)... it's minor, it just annoys me :)

The only thing I can come up with that might do this is the socalled drive chain slider, if it was worn perhaps the chain would catch/jump around a little. It "feels like" some transmission/chain related thing.

Before anyone asks(!) yes the chain/sprockets are quite new/adjusted etc, rear wheel bearings ok etc, I can't see what else it could be? -Statically, it feels ok if the wheel is spun by hand (in either direction) but that does not load the chain enough for the other run to go as slack as it would when riding...

Any better ideas? -or has anyone else noticed that same?? (perhaps they all do it!)

br

D.

Maybe a worn clutch basket.. or even the balance chain needs adjusting/refurbishment?

Also, maybe a re-synch of the starter valves may help?

Not the balancer setup...been there..

Clutch not very noisy on mine (rattle that is) although you can hear the general noise drop a bit when clutch in... so my bet is no...

Starter valves??? err whassat?? Did u mean something else?

The crap thing would be if it was the sprocket side gearbox mainshaft bearing on it's way out (arrgh...) but that feels ok and no oil seepages.

-D.

Have you checked the cush drive behind the rear sprocket ?

Wayne.

Not since I replaced chain/sprockets, it was ok then, but you are right, it could have some problem, perhaps even some clearance problem, I'll check it out !

Ta

D.

Ah yes eddy u meant the idle air bypass, I forgot Honda call it that (understandable since it's part of the "choke" I suppose).

Well yes that was <> out, never been touched since the bike was new as far as I could tell, and it's made a big difference, I would say that was 90% of it, amazing. Also the bike will idle better at lower rpm's now (so no big clunks when I bung it in gear!).

Ta all

-Dermot.

=========

Sorry Dermot, I missed in your post above where you didn't understand the terminology... anyway glad you fathomed it out and got a result!