Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest lycheed

Code 25 on MIL

10 posts in this topic

Gents, the MIL (FI) light is illuminating and flashes 25 times with the stand down. Can anyone diagnose the fault. Engine operates normally.

Thanks in advance

Lycheed

25 relates to the knock sensor (ooerr missus) faulty wiring or dodgy unit...

Just in case...

Eddy, you are a true gent. Will hopefully get some time to check tomorrow night. Need me X in perfect wokring condiiton for impromtu camping trips and adrenalin charged antics.

Don't forget the rub down after dipping in the spa-bath!

Let me know how you get on with the anti-knocker!

Eddy, where would I be without my Korean body scrub after a dip in an alpine spa? :D

Turns out that I need a new knock sensor - 75 quid. For six years and 40 thou miles of ownership, 75 quid in remedial repairs is pretty good going. Cheers for the input.

Forgive my ignorance, but what does a 'Knock Sensor' do?

It senses when "pre-ignition" happens and retards the ignition or alters the fuel mixture on some engines, to prevent it.

Pre-ignition or knocking, pinking or detonation (eek) is when the fuel ignites in the cylinder before the spark plug sparks! If this happens on the upstroke of the piston the explosion tries to force it back down the bore... giving a knocking noise! In extreme cases it will blow holes in your pistons and shag your crank etc!

It used to happen more in the old days... from carbon build up on the piston crown and combustion chamber glowing red hot. Hence the need for a regular "de-coke" (Amy Winehouse?).

Nowadays it's more likely as a result of a weak mixture (end cans)... we'd want the sensor working on our bikes I suppose.

Thanks for the explaination Eddy...I was wondering too.

Cheers