Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
plastic_orange

Bike Died

20 posts in this topic

Went for a nice jaunt up to Oban today - about 140 miles from me, but on way back my bike died - a backfire, FI light and ignition light on, then wouldn't start again, but ignition light wouldn't come on.

Any ideas before I burn it - waited 3 hours on AA - in the rain and midgies - just home now and bike thrown in garage.

My mates were all in hysterics as I always go on about Honda reliability - not any more.

Pete

power commander, bet Mr Sheen sabotaged it

Don't think so - it still had power when trying to start bike.

Will check out workshop manual tomorrow.

Pete

check kill switch as on my black x11 on v reg the wires came off so i redone them and it was ok ,or check all connections IE battery wirers loose .

I'll be investigating today - but green ignition light didn't come on when key turned, so it must be an ecu wire fault I think.

Pete

:huh: spose you have checked all fuses and fuse links?

Next thing is do you have alarm/immobiliser fitted?

My Meta375t just conked out 3 mths ago leaving me stranded, so stripped it right out.

Hey Pete, have you tried your spare key?

When you say "ignition light" which one... the HISS light or the Neutral light?

Clutch switch ok?

disconnect the PC, before fault finding, get the electrics back to standard.

Electronic boxs can have a mind of their own. Just cause it's got a light on doesn't mean anyones at home.

Alex

I've tried spare key - no success, It is the HISS light that is out, and everything else appears to be working.

I wouldn't have an alarm on a bike after my experience with the Meta on my Blade, so can rule that out. Clutch switch seems fine too, but I'm off shortly to try everything.

My helpful mates have suggested I buy a Su***i :doh:

Bike was going great too - superb resurfaced roads up there - plus sun was shining (for some of the time)

Pete

Bloody typical.... grrr. The 1st hint of summer and the old girl gets all confused and wants to go back in the shed!

Hope you get it sorted... gotta be a wire somewhere. Headlight shell and all the usual suspects on the ECU etc...

Pete, I'm going to have a look at mine this morning, see if I can trace through the ign circuit, see if I can get some pointers for you.

You got a multi meter.

Check you ground connections as well

I've found the problem - a broken wire on ECU - reconnected it and bike fired up. To repair properly I'm going to have to extend it as it is a bit short.

Thanks for the input folks.

cheers

Pete

result! ;D

Pete,

Have you got a Maplin store nearby, if so get some heat-shrink sleeving to put over the wire, this will give it a bit more protection and some added strength, specially if it is a thin one.

All the wires in that area are pretty thin. It's not helped by the PC3 as wires are pretty short in this area. I'll solder and heat shrink to hopefully stop this happening again.

Pete

I've just had cause to inspect this area on my bike, with fitting the Krauser pannier kit.

The ECU unit is held to the tailpiece by a rubber strap... very bloody technical! However, I noticed that it still has room to jiggle about a bit... that can't be good as any movement may hasten stress fractures in the wiring.

Pad the ECU with some foam or bubblewrap underneath so that it is held tightly in place...

Just a though like... and as an advisory.

Eddy,

I've put one of the straps over the PC3, so it is held down a bit firmer than normal - it is a poor solution though.

Pete

Not good is it?

You could encapsulate the wires in silicone or summat... but it'd be a bugger finding it if one did snap then!

would soem of that velcro with the adhesive on the back help, it is available in both hook and eye. I used it to stick my microwave sensor into the tail pod when i did my alarm, if surfaces are clean prior to sticking, it is very good, would also pack the ecu to stretch the elastic band.