Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest gollyfish

Engine cutts out after 15 miles, wait 10 mins then starts, Help!!!

11 posts in this topic

I hope somebody can help me, my beloved X11 has just started cutting out on me after about 15 miles or so. I then have to coast to a stop and wait 10 or 15 minutes before she will start again. I then manage to get another 5 or 10 miles for the same thing to happen. The battery is new and connected ok, I put it on a charge after every ride and the fuel is good.

I have just phoned up a garage to book it in, but they have seen this fault on another X11 a few years back and couldn't fix it and wont look at mine. They did mention the HISS could be the problem, but this could cost me upto a grand to sort out and the won't do it anyway.

Has anyone else ever had this fault, and what was the conclusion?

Any help would be very much apprieciated as I am screwed.

Cheers Guys

Jase

I had this on a car once and it was a blocked vent in the filler cap. The fuel pump sucks out fuel and after a while with no air getting into the tank a vacuum is formed so no fuel can be sucked out. Vehicle stops. After a while enough air leaks in to start the process over. Just a thought. Simple way to check is to run with the fuel cap open. Let us know how you get on.

Mick.

Hi Mick,

That sounds like it could be the problem, I have just started her up, but as usual the temp gets too high and I had to switch her off before she cut out. I think I will take her out, breakdown (as is usual now) and open the fuel cap straight away see if the air rushes into the tank, then try to start her, if she fires up.......Bingo! I will then immediately owe you a pint.

I hope it is something that simple, I've checked the Battery connections and the wiring looks ok.

I will let you know how I get on in any case.

NUTS!!,

I've just got back from taking her out and.............bloody cut out again after about 5 miles. I opened the cap, tried to start her, I tried about 4 or 5 times cap open, cap closed, but no joy.

Had the usual 10 minute wait and then she started and lasted until I got home.

I don't know if it's fuel not getting through or an electrical fault, and to make matters worse I'm pretty thick.

Thank you for the idea Mick, it sounded like the problem to me, but at least thats one possible fault off the list.

Any help or ideas are more than welcome.

With the engine running at tick over with the bike parked with the side stand down. Are you getting any blinks from the FI light?

Fast Eddy,

Thanks for getting involved, it is very much appriciated my friend. Sadly they was not a twitch or a flicker of the FI light, much to my dismay.

No worries, we all try to help. How many miles has it done?

I'd be wondering if the fuel filter is blocked? It's inside the tank and a bit of a cow to get to.

If you've got two hiss keys? Try the other key and also riding with the spare sticking out of the tank filler lock (don't lose it) and see how that goes.

I'd also be checking the fuel line for kinks.

All the air pipes and hoses for kinks/splits etc.

Checking the coils for breaking down under load.

Sounds like you need a mate who's handy with the spanners.... whip it up here and I'll put it up on the lift! :D

Thanks Eddy,

I'll try the other key tomorrow, I'll have to search for it thought, I haven't seen it since the house move a year ago, but as far as the milage goes, it's up to almost 28000.

Scotland.........?

OK, with current breakdowns happening every 5-10 miles, plus the 10 minute wait, not forgetting food and accomodation.............................. I shall be up there just before Christmas 2013.

be worth it though!

Aye, bring a bottle!