Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wayne

Inspect your Tyre Valves

15 posts in this topic

I was proceeding down a private road at approx 120mph, when something did not feel right, an odd sensaion affecting the whole feel of the bike.

I eased off the throttle to sbout 80 mph & yes it still felt odd I slowed to 50mph & still could not put my finger on what was occuring.

I slowed some more to about 30 mph & there it was a significant wobble from the back end eased off the throttle & coasted to a stop quite smoothly with no fuss or drama.

A dredded PUNCTURE.

Called the wife she brought out my spare wheel & off I went.

Later that day I returned home & began inspecting the punctured tyre but could not find any impalement anywhere, I then decided to blow up the tyre & listen for the leak, tyre held 42 psi with no leaks, odd one this me thinks.

As I went to remove the inflator from the valve there it was that nasty hissing sound, see pic gents don't know when this valve was last changed unlike cars when they change them every time they fit a new tyre, bike shops tend to only change them when you ask, I shall now make apoint of having a new valve each time I have a new tyre on my bike

post-10-0-32817300-1344882959_thumb.jpg

Edited by wayne

Wise words mate!

I always get new valves put in Wayne !

Has that "private" road got an A or B designation before the number? Good advice Wayne, the valves can easily be damaged as they are very awkward to get at. Would be better if they had a 90 degree bend in them.

I put the longer ones in... they bend nicely to get an inflator on.

Interestingly I have just put new boots on front and back. The gut changing them said I was a very lucky chap as the valves rot out and this had happened on the front. He brought the wheel over and put finger pressure on the valve moving it sideways and it hissed at us...mmm...lucky me!

Has that "private" road got an A or B designation before the number? Good advice Wayne, the valves can easily be damaged as they are very awkward to get at. Would be better if they had a 90 degree bend in them.

Yes Mick!.......why don't they use 90degree valves :dontknow:  Even with a longer valve it's still a pain inflating the front tyre with those big discs up front plus if you use the longer valves it's exasperating the problem by tugging and pulling at the valve.  

Surely the wheel will still balance with 90degree valves!!!

I have never thought to ask about changing the valves as I assumed like cars they did it as course :eek2:

I aways keep a 90% valve extension in my main biking coat,keep thinking I shoud buy 1 for each bike and leave ion bike so where.I find a bit of a pain but if you take the extension off first after slighty over inflating you seem to be o.k. .The other way is take a ring spanner to every inflator and bend the bugger when nobody looking .Bry ps I would condone such actions by unruly bikers :naughty:

As a mechanic, if somebody brought me bike to tire change because of a leak, first thing to check was the valve.

Also every time when i changed tires i changed valves also, mandatory to me.

On my bike i use these http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/544423/Tyres/Valves-and-Caps/Ariete/Tyre-Valves

and installed so that when the bike is leaning the side stand the valves point to right side of the bike, easy to check the pressures.

As a mechanic, if somebody brought me bike to tire change because of a leak, first thing to check was the valve.

On my bike i use these http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/544423/Tyres/Valves-and-Caps/Ariete/Tyre-Valves

and installed so that when the bike is leaning the side stand the valves point to right side of the bike, easy to check the pressures.

So does this replace the valve or does it thread over the existing valve?:huh:?

So does this replace the valve or does it thread over the existing valve? :huh:?

It replaces the whole rubber valve.

K'inell 30 quid + postage for a pair of valves!

I'd sooner put longer ones in and bend them a bit!

Eddy, i want to see your face when you bend that maybe little bit hardened rubber valve and hear that Shhhhhhhhh noise :)

I was also wondering that price(that was first add what Google found with photo), i am remembering that they were about 15€ pair here in Finland where everything is usually more expensive than anywhere else.

Nah, I've got one of these... goes on any valve no worries!

59981246_ALG3H03_new.gif

Eddy, i want to see your face when you bend that maybe little bit hardened rubber valve and hear that Shhhhhhhhh noise :)

I was also wondering that price(that was first add what Google found with photo), i am remembering that they were about 15€ pair here in Finland where everything is usually more expensive than anywhere else.

That's not altogether true surely Henri!!!.................Rally cars must must be totally free in Finland since apart from the odd Scottish and French driver nearly every other rally driver is from Finland!!!! :hijack: