Guest phpbiker

Balancer Noise / Tension

57 posts in this topic

If you were a benefactor you could look at the workshop where it shows the tensioner as spring loaded going on to a torsion bar against the cam chain.If you get in touch with Eddy I sure he sort you out for a donation.Bry

It could be that the low milage X has spent a long time without a run meaning the tensioner could have gumed up with dried oil , it may just need a stripdown and clean then re-oiled.

CCT does not keep the tension on when faulty, horrible rattle then ensues on the overrun particularly when no pressure on engine, ie sat on drive reving it.

take set screw out of the end of the CCT & put set screw in about 30mm long with nut on also , you now have a manual tensioner, adjust as neccassary untill rattle dissapears, not too tight tho, lock off with nut.

Now order a new CCT or just leave it as a manual.

Wayne.

At the risk of repeating myself.

I'll add with a longer screw the adjuster cannot back off.

I have all the docs and the pics etc .. I was / am a benefector..I need to send Eddie some dosh ..

People keep telling me there is a bl__dy ratchet.

I don't want a manual tensioner, get it wrong and the tension screws the tensioner blade and stretches the chain. Alright if you are running a drag bike .. not one that you want 150K out of.

I've tried adding tension to no avail .. but it still sounds like tension rocking back on the chain, there is no getting away from it .. I've ordered a new tensioner and I'll fit it and let you know what happens.

If that doesn't do it, the top end is coming apart and I'll re-do any clearance that's out.. Simple as that I guess :-) LOL

You would find it easy to get right manually, especilly if you used to doing clearances etc.

You can do it with the engine running & keep giving the throttle a blip till the noise dissapears then back it off untill the rattle comes back & set the mid point.

Or remove the cover & (engine turned off) its easy to feel the chain tension.

I think if I remember correctly if you remove the inspection cover then rev the bike if the tensioner is not working correctly you can see the chain snaking about,accompanied by nasty noise, Assistance may be needed for this unless your arms are like a Baboon.

Its an easy fix if only till you new tensioner arrives.

I fitted a new tensioner to mine, from Jaws supposedly of better quality (stronger sprung) than Honda, I now have a set screw in this one too making it manual :huh::)

Edited by wayne

Could jimp a tooth....My Firestorm did....Take the plugs out to stop it going over on compression

When I fit the new one, before I order it, I might make a mess in the garage watching the chain and tensioner for movement with the cover off. When I fit the new one I'll pre-tension the chain a little with the cover off ..

If... it doesn't fix it, I'll go straight into the top ..

Was planning to fit blackbird inlet cam anyway .. already have one I am eyeing up :-)

Jake don't buy a Gen 2 Vmax cos the valve gear noise on tick over will drive you nuts, sounds like a load of nuts and bolts in a spin drier but they all sound like that. I can't really hear anything amiss with your bike but that's me, others may hear something different.. :biggrin:

You might need a set of headphones plugged into PC to really hear it, my laptop doesn't reproduce it .. but its a bag of bolts at 2.5K to me in the headphones..

Oh and noted about the V-max, that's what I didn't get on with on the Kawasaki ZX-9R .. What I loved on the R1 . and the old X-11 ..

Its pretty good my X .. I am just a nutter about getting things bang on the way I like them .. hence the changes I make to the setup and pipes etc ..

Not done on this one yet, but .. accumulating stuff to do it..

Edited by phpbiker

NEW CCT!!! ...

At first, I was .. oh no, its the same, and then gradually the CCT took up all the slack bit by bit .. the old spring must have been shafted.. let it cool and its much more ..."controlled" when its cool now .. a much nicer sound. I think there are some MAX clearances in the top end.. but with a 7K motor, that's probably to be expected. It can only get better.. tighter .. hopefully never too tight ..

Now looking at exhaust system (blackbird design) and PC3 and probably bird inlet cam to experiment ..

Glad that you've sorted it Jake.. :headbang:

Fitting a bird inlet cam, will make it perform like a bird, slower in all 5 gears, than a std X, with out the benifit of the bird top speed (6th gear) wont pull as well, bird cam has longer duration than the X for top end power, if you really want something special fit a bird 6th gear to the X, keeping std X cams.

Edited by wayne

Yeah its much quieter. There is still noise from the top end, don't get me wrong, but its quieter cold and quieter warm, the noise I am hearing is the engine set up on max clearances being so fresh. Much less top end noise on over run too ..

The bird engine makes more top end power, more power. It can't be "slower" .. it'll be less torquey but have more top end power. That's not top end mph that top end rev range. It can't make it slower, only faster. Less transitional pull for sure, but more top end power. Which is what I wanted.

A Superbike without a fairing.

Just wanted to add, I've ridden a bird a couple of times now, and they go like a missile.

I like the X's power delivery, but I prefer top end mentalness over low end grunt.

Glad you sorted it Jake , If you look on BB forums they prefere the X11 tensioner as the BB ones seam to fail with low milage , maybe yours was a BB one fitted by mistake on a friday afternoon !!

Buy a Blackbird then :oldfart:

Blackbird is only quicker on top end MPH, because it has a 6th gear,

Therefore, an x11 with a BB gearbox / 6th gear would have the X11 grunt with the top end you desire & yes it has been done by Uli on the x11 German forum,

Would love to see a rider hang onto an 186 mph X11 would be quite amusing.

Pleased you got the CCT sorted tho, its a bloody annoying noise when not adjusted.

Edited by wayne

I dunno wayne .. I've riden a bird, and you don't need sixth gear to know its quicker than an X.

Its not as grunty .. but it is quicker ..you don't have to change into sixth. The power comes on strong, low down, not as much as an X but very strong and then as it comes on cam, if you got the throttle wide open the front will lift in first a quick change and it'll do it in second, a roll on into the cam in third is pretty mind bendingly quick.

My X, and my last X flatten out in the top range rather than gathering power quickly like a 'bird. Some of that is exhaust and map, but most of it is the cam.

Our headers are design for lower speed rpm gas velocity, where as the more open pipes on the 'bird provide high rpm gas velocity, low grunt vs top end bhp .. and that top end doesn't mean mph it means rpm.

If you put a sixth gear in a bird, it wouldn't rev out, and you wouldn't get the top end .. you wouldn't anyway without a fairing.

What I want is the acceleration style of a super bike, the mind bending "it just keeps going and going" power, that's great for a motorway slip road, or blasting between corners in the mountains. BUT .. I want a naked bike with a small fairing and a more upright riding position, I find it easier to turn in whilst a little more upright.

Another thread about fairing! ..

You definatly need ackro headers then, for what your looking for, then dyno, then BB cam, then dyno, then PCIII & dyno.

Ackro will get you 143 Bhp ish at the rear wheel, (84 ftlb torque min) the power commander won't add much more but will improve feel of the power , mostly the price of the PCIII does not justify the minimal gains, used PCIII is the way to go.

BB's kill your wrists tho at normal speeds

I'll second the fitting of an Akra or similar - basically 20bhp increase to around 143. I certainly don't have any bother skimming the front wheel in 1, 2 and 3.

Mine hits the limiter quite easily in lower gears if you're not careful - never had it maxed in top, but I'd guess it would pull to the limiter. I've got a MIcron full system, with PC3, K @ N with O2 eliminator set up on dyno about 5 years ago and no gliches whatsoever. Sadly, it doesn't get out much these days - weather is crap.

Pete

Well ... I had a back to back X and bird experience.

And I think your plan of attack is bang on right. But I am pretty sure I have a few wide clearances up top apparently not uncommon with barely used engines.

My akra problem is that .. its single sided.. Does the Micron system have both sides?

I think bird headers will make the difference I need. Just an extension of top end power and the removal of the flattening out ..

If not .. inlet cam and PC3 will have to be requisitioned..

Otherwise for me, the riding position, riding style and comfort of the X is literally unbeatable.

Micron system is a single can. I'd say that the Akra headers are better built than the Micron, but the Micron carbon can is far nicer. I had the choice of them both and am happy with what I'm running. I wouldn't bother with the Honda Y piece - far too restrictive. Just go with what's proven to work.

Pete

I wouldn't bother with the Honda Y piece - far too restrictive. Just go with what's proven to work.

Pete

It does work, I've done it,

No PC3 either! wc ft-2.jpg

Edited by wayne