Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest awright1707

It's a fair cop! I killed my bike

10 posts in this topic

Yes its true....... I was looking forward to giving the bike a run now the weather is good so I was fitting a new battery to my 2002 X11, one of those Motobatt yellow ones with the 4 connections and managed to connect it with the connectors reversed........... a small spark from the earth lead as it touched the Positive connection, I remade the connections the right way around but the damage was done. There is nothing, no signs of life, no lights coming on or relays clicking when I turn the ignition key. I've checked every fuse I can find, all are ok.

Has anyone any ideas, do you think I have fried the ECM, any help welcomed.

Best regards

Did you check the main 30 amp fuse, near the starter solenoid, above the battery in a little holder?

i think the ecu should be ok because when you did this the ignition was off so should not be affected im sure you will find the main fuse blown .

Thanks for the replies, yes I've checked the 30A fuse with a meter and all the 10A ones as well, still as dead as a Dodo

Looking at the wiring diagram it seems as though there is a direct connection to the ECM from the starter relay, as Corporal Jones said it seems like "They don't like it up em" 12v the wrong way that is.

Did you check the fuse in the rubber holder at the starter solenoid? There's a spare there too... swap it over and check.

Eddy, I had missed that one, yes it was blown! replaced with the spare but still nothing, it's not blown again and I've rechecked the other fuses, still all OK, will check that there is power getting to the ignition switch tomorrow evening after work.

Once again thanks for the help

You didn't flip the engine kill switch off in your excitment? :)

Did you get the bike going....What was the problem :huh:?

Good news, I didn't find the problem, BUT Jim from Superbike Surgery Ltd, (he is a mobile workshop service) sorted it out this morning (Friday 23rd) turned out to be a dodgy starter solenoid assembly with bad connections, he temporarily sorted it and I've ordered a new part just to be sure.

Thanks for everyone's help, and I can definitively recommend the firm mentioned above he is based in Dursley Gloucestershire