Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest tinhook

bar ends

10 posts in this topic

:unsure: ok, what have i done, i couldn`t get the new bar end mirrors to fit in place of bar end weights so put them on the weights themselves, but the weights keep turning round, no matter how tight the screws are. this is not such a problem, usually, but its a tad windy & at close-ish to legal speeds, the mirrors show me my gloves & forearm & far call else. how can i stop the bar ends from moving? bizzarly enough, the bar end mirrors are a hugh improvement on the standard mirrors, until i get to 70ish. look forward to your continued help & support, jim.

Jim the bar end screws are philips so it may be worth changing the screws for allen type screws so they can be tightened up some more.

But if I remember correctly the insert inside the bar can turn as well wich means no matter how tight they are they will still turn.

The other options are to remove the bar end inserts and fit expanding type ones ,or for a temporary fix fill the end of the bar with silicone sealant

and replace the bar end then leave it to set in position.

Bar ends are mounted originally flexible so that they kill vibrations, it might be that you cant get those mirrors "solid" if you dont remove those bar end inserts like x11r says.

Dont use silicone sealant, those (might) stay slippery even if they are dry, use something more like glue. Maybe you need only those expanding fixings.

the bar mirrors came with expanding fixings, but couldn`t fix them because of the centre of the bar is there, i spent ages trying to unscrew these but got nowhere. i tried wedging some plastic ties between the bar centre & the bar itself, worked ok on left side, but not so good on right, will try glue next, then if that dosn`t work, i will have to either go back to standard mirrors & admire my shoulders, or replace the bars. why dont honda engineers cater for those of us who are fortunate enough to be born with a chest, arms, shoulders & elbows? ooh, had a thought, any one ever fitted a rear view camera to their bike? need a screen which will need to be both waterproof & vibration resistant too, hmm, maybe i could market this idea! thanks guys, always in your debt, jim.

brillant idea about the camera and screen I think the reason no one has marketed it could be because its illegal to have a screen in view of the rider/driver don't know how sat nav got round it in first place.have you tried tape round the bar ends or even mirror extensions on your stems.

Loads of HGV drivers use reversing cameras with the screen mounted somewhere on the dashboard.. :P

yes the new yaris comes with them but they no good going forward.unless they have changed the law lately it used to said the person in charge of a car/bike must not be able to see a screen with moving pictures so maybe the have relaxed it on reversing cameras.I know I had a BMW that the tv screen switched over to sat nav when you rode off

I have those my original bars here at my work, just took a look at them.

There is two holes aprox 5mm from the end of the bar and some "clips" goes in those holes and keeps that insert in its place.

I think that you have to push them in, both at the same time, and then try to pull those inserts out.

Edited by Maintenanceman

wow, thanks for the info maintenanceman, i will be pulling my rubbers about tomorrow, as, yet again, i have no work! as regards to hgv`s & reversing cameras, they are fitted to all the rigid`s at work, but none on the artics, which is odd because i often have to back a trailer onto a loading dock on my `blind side`, where a trailer mounted camera would be handy. unfortunatly the cameras/cables/screens fitted seem a little fragile & are often not working, not sure if the company buys cheap stuff or theres nothing `man` enough for the job, more than likely some dozy driver spilt his/her tea over the screen. thanks guys, i am totally in your debt. jim.