Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mick

Fork oil

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

is there a very simple way of telling whether the oil in the forks needs changing?

Or is it a mileage thing? (13k at the mo.) Looks like a big job, is to me anyway, so don't want to do it unless necessary.

Cheers,

Mick.

http://www.hondax11....325-fork-seals/

A bit of a guide there, if you ignore everything about changing the seals. Just remove the top cap and invert the leg to let it all pour out. It'd be a good opportunity to grease the head race bearings whilst you're at it.

Cheers Eddy, spot-on as always. :)

I'd take the chance to change the seals, too. May as well. It's not that hard and goes pretty quickly if you follow the manual. I don't have the special tool to pound int he new seals, so I use the old ones on top of the new ones and use a piece of wood and rubber mallet. Good choice changing the oil, you'll notice a world of difference.

Oh! Kenko had his done a while back for really cheap and if I'd known it was that cheap I'd have had them done there, too. Maybe PM him about it if you're worried it's too much of a job. Good luck either way!

Thanks James, will do as you and Eddy suggest. Will be going to Florida later this year, don't use up all the good weather before we get there. :)

If you do, don't get any cheapos or you'll be doing again soon! :)