Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest phpbiker

Changing Inlet Cam For Bird.

4 posts in this topic

I did a bit of research with part numbers a while back, and without going too far...

I noticed that the inlet cam on the bird engine was the only mechanical performance effecting difference I could see.

I was wondering if anyone dialed in a second hand bird inlet cam and used bird downpipes with end cans and a PC3 with bird derived maps on it .. at all .. to good effect?

Or am I missing something?

There are people here who know better than me but:

The airbox intakes are different.

The exhaust is.

The intake cam is.

I might wonder if the ignition mapping was different but I never looked.

You get "significant" improvements by changing the air intake rubbers and the exhaust. X's have more torque than BB's as far as I know, and I think I'd keep it that way, i.e. I'm not sure I'd want to change the cam. I think if you search the forums you can find HP figures.

I don't think many would fit a BB set of downpipes, since they are normally buried under a fairing and look like shite anyway! Most fit some aftermarket item. I bought a BB stainless Yoshi 4-1 off ebay...

kr D.

OK .. now I remember something about the airbox. Needing sorting, I expect there are articles on it .. I know JamesCates did something that worked really well.

I do think the exhaust cam is the same though per my memory .. I am checking that ..