Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest standish honda

chain & Sprockets

9 posts in this topic

Fitted a set of renthal sprockets and a Tsubaki chain today, took it out for a rainy testride, amazing it now sounds like it has land rover tyres on it, the front sprock hums as it turns.

Aye, it does make a racket doesn't it?

I bought a bloody expensive origianl Honda replacement for that very reason... seems the rubber sides on 'em do make a difference!

Thats what the guy that fitted it said, also added very few people buy the Honda jobbie. I can live with it as long as i know my baby is humming with happiness and not tedium, just have to buy a lid with more soundproofing, i have ready supply of earplugs but they take away some of the sensation of being in the moment, i dont like that feeling of detatchment.

Hello all,

the time is coming to buy my first chain replacement after 14,000miles.

A couple of questions arise from reading the forums:

1. Is the Honda replacement the only quite chain?

2. x-rings, o-rings, HD and standard ranges - whats that all about?

3. Is it necassary/wise to change the 2 coggy things as well (large and small sprokets)?

4. Any recommendations for mail order or product combinations of chains and sprockets? - (quite like the gold coloured chains!)

5. How do the following eBay links fare, price and quality wise?

6. And how easy is it do do ones self - without splitting the chain?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-CB-1100SF-X11-Chain-sprocket-kit-JT-Spr_W0QQitemZ280132436127QQihZ018QQcategoryZ10460QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHAIN-SPROCKET-KIT-HONDA-CB1100SF-SF-X11-00-03_W0QQitemZ250053072398QQihZ015QQcategoryZ10460QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-Chain-Sprocket-Kit-CB1100-SF-X11-2000-03_W0QQitemZ330143297861QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10460QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Thanks in advance for any advice given!

indecisiveCats

It's only the Honda front sproc that's quieter...

Like Eddy says Cats its only the Honda front sprocket that's quieter , Personally I would stay away from JT sprockets they look like they are pressed out of mild steel and are just cheap copies , My preferred choice is Honda original front Renthal Ally rear and DID gold Xring chain , But you would be safe with any Xring or Oring chain from all the top names ,DID , EK, Regina etc , If your also going to fit it yourself it's a pain trying to rivet the joining link so If you remove your L/H can and L/H footrest plate (if the swing arm nut is that side) you can then rivet the chain on your work bench and simply slip it over the swing arm and in place.

Ditto all of the above, i paid a local mbike mechanic ?25 to fit my sprocks and chain, it would cost more than that to buy a decent rivetting tool, to be used once every blue moon. The sprockets should be changed to match the chain, they wear with the chain so fitting a new chain on old sprocks is false economy, they will prematurely wear your nice new gold chain. I have just done a long trip on mine after having the things fitted, to be fair i am used to the different noise now and it doesnt bother me, in fact it is easier to tell when iam in 5th due to the noise.My chain and Renthal sprock kit was from Slaters Motorsports in Staffordshire bought online and probable as cheap as i could get it (?125), Renthal are as good as they get and the chain is a Tsubaki x ring it is as heavy as you will need for most things.You are right it does seem like a minefield.

Hi,

Ditto all the above again!

-I'd only add that I used a Honda front sprocket as the whine due to the lack of rubber dampers on mine annoyed the hell out of me, but if you already have a front sprocket without the dampers (some rubber blocks moulded in a ring around the sprocket to damp out noise) and you're happy then no problem!!

br

D.

Like Eddy says Cats its only the Honda front sprocket that's quieter ... Honda original front ... DID gold Xring chain ... Xring or Oring chain from all the top names ' date='DID , EK, Regina etc ,...

[/quote']

Thanks , x11r, standish honda, dwr, fast_eddy.

You're right lokking at the JT more closely I can see what you mean by cheap!

Will keep to the above advice and get some one to do it for me.

Thanks.