Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest standish honda

New rubber

32 posts in this topic

I will need some new tyres (or Tires if you are on the other side of the pond, or your Windows language setting is on English U.S). I see my main choice as being BT021s or Metz Z6, Any opinions, recommends? all advice welcome. I have currently got BT020 which i dont find unreasonable as iam not planning on doning any moto gp races.

I like the Metz.... they store really well on the bike, in the shed, still like new!

must admit i am swaying towards them, but the BT012 seem to be a bit cheaper (more deals available).

I have 021's on mine done 4500 miles on em with the rear just starting to square off , just had one put on the cbr wheel as well ,perform well in the wet with some warning that your pushing them before loss of grip. warm up quicker than 020's with a positive feed back , 100% better than the 014's that felt verry vuage at the front,

Was talking to a guy at the NEC on the Maxxis stand there. He was telling me how good their tyres were and that more & more people are buying them. Must admit they looked good, get good reveiws and are a lot less than the bigger manufacturers. I may look into some next.:)

Allways had Pirelli diablo's on the cbr (3sets in 5ys) and never found a fault with them. Then again they worked really well on that particular bike. Should be fine for the x11 though.

Bit of a mine field really Pete!!:doh:

I'm using Michelin 2CT roads and these are good in the dry and wet and seem to have a good lifespan - I imagine they are similar to the new BT021's.

Paul.

At the end of the day the choice is your preference.

If your happy with BT020's then keep to them - you have no complaints, they are plentyful and so a deal is more likely, they wear well and they do suit the type of riding you do, they have not given you any nasty surprises and you 'understand' them.

On the other hand, Metzelers are good as well, but unless YOU try them you will never know.

Personally they both did what I wanted them to do, grip the road well enough concidering MY riding style and ability, and they lasted as long as each other. For me, concidering the x11 weight (at the front) I always found the choice was down to how the FRONT tyre handle, as the back end I could reasonably tame.

Let's face it, few of us on here have riden the x11 and put the tyres to their real limits, so with that in mind the differences between the Metzerlers and BT020's is negligable

I would recomend the Michelin pilot road 2 tryes over 5500k and no squaring off and still a lot of tread left, they may even last me this year too. I think Bridgestone are phasing the bt20`s now in favour of the 21s

I've got Mitch on too, and they seem like pretty good all rounders. Really don't think there are any bad tyres though any more, most modern stuff is much better than the rider!

Is there any age limit to tyres? I'm asking this cos my bike still as the original tyres fitted(its a 02 which had around 2600 miles on the clock when I bought it last Oct) The front will need replacing soon but the rear is OK,do I buy a front or buy a pair?:confused:

I'd buy a pair... better to get a deal on a pair anyway.

Is there any age limit to tyres? I'm asking this cos my bike still as the original tyres fitted(its a 02 which had around 2600 miles on the clock when I bought it last Oct) The front will need replacing soon but the rear is OK,do I buy a front or buy a pair?:confused:

I read and heard this story a few times now that tyres (esp bike's), should really be changed at 5yrs max. If you look on the tyre wall, you will see the year when it's made. In your case Ken it will be 02 or 01 in a circle near the size info ect...

I agree with Eddy aswell, i would buy a new pair.;)

I use pair of Pirelli Diablo Strada and im really pleased whit their performance!I did 24 000km and still can do another 2-3k :)

I really cant say nothing bad.They do very well on both wet and dry roads.The price is resonable so i plan to buy again a pair of them this spring. ;D

PR_DiabloStradaPair.jpg

Went with the Z6s cos the place I use did not have my size in Bridgestone or Michelin,I'll try them out tomorrow if it stops raining..

Hey Svillen, those are the same tyres i used on my cbr1000f. Had 3sets in 5yrs and i know what you mean....They are brilliant for grip.;)

Hey Svillen, those are the same tyres i used on my cbr1000f. Had 3sets in 5yrs and i know what you mean....They are brilliant for grip.;)

Yeah, perfect grip plus high mileage !!! Hot recommended for thus who travel on long distance highway mainly ;)

I prefer 021's over the 020's. I never really deviate from Bridgestones on my bikes, I know what to expect, and they do the job - and hardly any chicken strips.

Tell us your 220mph secret - on the Dyno?

Pete

Sevenfifty probably meant 4,000 kms! His first language isn't English... although, his standard of the written word is much better than many native speakers!

Give him a break eh?

Sevenfifty probably meant 4,000 kms! His first language isn't English... although, his standard of the written word is much better than many native speakers!

Give him a break eh?

Eddy, i feel that my English is really poor, but anyway i hope that the most of you understand exactly what i mean to say ! :luck::D

@glassback75 - yes, my friend ! I did 24 000km on one set of Pirelli Diablo Strada tyres B)

I bought the bike May 2007 whit 21 000km on the clock new imported in Bulgaria from Switzerland.In the middle of the summer 2007, at about 27 000km on on clock i bought the pair of these Pirelli Strada ( DOT2007 ).I use the bike mostly for long trips in the weekend days (250+ km per weekend) and rarely in the city streets.Last summer i did the trip to England and back (around 7 300km) and I mostly used euro highways.At this momment the bike has 50 900km on the clock and the tyres looks for change (especially rear one ) but i still can ride for short runs until the spring, when i plan to invest in new pair of the same tyres :)

Who knows,maybe im the lucky man to find the best tyres for my riding style:p

Cheers,

Svillen

Ordered some replacment tyres for my worn out BT020s, on Svillens recomendation for what i think is a good price i have gone for Pirelli Diablo Strada. Sharples Tyres in Swinton Gtr Manchester have done a pair for

They are great tyres Pete, hopefully they will suit the x11.;)

Damn good price too!! I paid just under

not in bolton tho anymore

Blimey, that's the end of an era... I used to go there years ago for Pirelli Phantoms on my GS850.

now located on Wardley ind estate, Swinton. Just off the A580 East Lancs Road.