Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest steba

FRONT WHEEL SUSPENSION

29 posts in this topic

Hello ,

I' d like to know if you could tell me a solution (cheap if it is possibile but everyhting will be good) to improve hardness of front wheel suspesions of my X11 that for me is too "soft".

I'd ike to receive opinions from someone that had resolved the problem in a good way.

Thanks a lot.

Fit some Hagon progressive springs and use 15w oil.

Yes Eddy is correct about the spring and oil change .but as you ask about a cheap fix I would try replacing the fork oil as it may be getting pass it best and see if that mades it better if not than go for thr springs.Bry

Thanks Bry for advice changing oil but I had already done it with no good result, so I think I'll try to change spring as Eddy writes.

Hy steba,

still the same problem?

i'll be shure that i can help you.

Ciao

roger

I am planing to do something also, front feels too soft.

So, Roger 11, tell us more about your solution?

Hello Roger,

I'll be grateful to you if you have a good solutions.Unfortunately I have already bought to Ohlins springs fork but lucyly I don't replace the old again.

I'll wait your indication before to do anything.

Thanks a lot.

Ciao,

Steba

Ohlins has a great name.

How strong are they in N/mm?

@all: A little bit later i will open a new tread and tell it to anybody.

So you can read it there.

@steba: especial for you, in the italien mountain, i have some other ideas additional.

But the best thing will be, if we meet each other one day near Tirano (both have around 3 hours to get there) and than you can drive my bike and will have the experience how great the difference can be.

Because i changed in a very easy way the driving characteristics of the bike. For people who dosn't life in the mountain, this change is not nessecary.

The reason why it is so, is simple.

The layout for our bike came from the XX. This should be the first machine who runs 300. In the end it was 285, but the most importend thing for the japanese was following case:

Never read about a bike who instable when it's run highspeed.

So our machine ist to much designd for running straigthforward.

You get it?

So i let the machine in front down and but her in the back up.

The headset becam something in direction 65° and the wheelbase becam shorter.

There is no irritable when i put of my hands from the handlebar at the speed of 160 km/h. But in the corners ;)

When you look exactly at the pitures, you willl see my fork above the place where they normaly been clamped.

Second benefit is, that you get more weight on the front wheel and this wheel will less push out of the corner.

And last but not least: The machine makes less a wheelie. I can give full stuff with my wife behind me and a 17/43 transmission ratio in the 2. gear without the machine climb the front wheel.

I could do it, if i would, but it dosn't make without my permission.

16/45 or 17/48 or 18/52 are good changes for the gear wheel of the chain, to come out of the hair-pin bend.

After the change, you need a speedo healer and everything is accurate.

If you knew all those things before, sorry for explaining, but you can be proud that you found the right stuff for the mountains.

B)

roger

Oh, if you do the thing to change the wheelbase, the problems with the soft fork become worst.

But if told you, to have a solution for that.

Promised.

In the other tread for all.

Greetings

roger

Dear Roger,

thanks for all indications you gave us.

Reading them I think that Ohlins springs I bought are too soft again ( 90Nm) .I'll put them in my X11 and I'll see as it changes.

Do you think that with only this solutions my X11 will be worse?

In any case if you was be able to contact the " doctor" I could think to buy his springs and oil,yet.

Thanks for all your help.

Ciao grazie.

Steba

Dear steba

Every step in direction stronger is a step in the right direction.

And the 90 Nm are the strongest thing you get legal. Try and see. If you get satisfied, you need no other spring.

My problem was, that with the 90Nm one, the front was a little softer then the back with the wilbers. So the bike make different things in the front and the back.

And with the change of the headset angle, its more worst.

But if you have in the back still the original spring, perhaps the 90 Nm is enough.

Perhaps one day near Tirano?

roger

Dear Roger,

thanks.What headset angle does means? Sorry but I'm not able to translate this words perfect..

Thanks.

Ciao.

Steba.

Hi Steba

Perhaps is not your translation which is the problem.

Perhabs my words are wrong.

That was the reason, why i say to meet each other and i give you my bike to drive.

But i go and try to find the right words.

CU soon

roger

Hi Steba

Apicture says more than a word.

00000190.gif.228461.gif

The angle at nummber 3 is at our bike 64° and this is to flat.

If you make it (it's easy to change) more rise, also the nummber 2 became shorter and your bike will change the direction much more easyer.

All clear now?

roger

Dear Roger,

perfect explanation, thanks.

Maybe in the future we could organize a meeting but now I'm not able to tell you when.

Thanks for your help.

Ciao.

Steba

P.S. my congratularions as your X11 is became (I looked at the pictures).Is light front group your creation?

Thanks for the compliments.

The light is from a B-King. My part was to fix it, because the 5 parts of the light was holding by the B-King accelarator.

And to fix my accelerator inside and make all waterproofed.

Takes me many hours

roger

TO Maintenanceman:

If this could help you, yesterday evening I tryed my X 11 with new front springs Ohlins.

First impact is good. I drived only some Km in the city so I didn't tell you something to similar a long test but the first sensations is that now is easier to enter in the curve.

Maybe but I have to test it , the rear wheel seems to swing a little but I drived only 5 km so I don't know.

To complete information I have original rear shock again so maybe I 'll have also to change it

Ciao.

Stefano

P.S. I think that Roger's advices are best solutions again.

TO Maintenanceman:

If this could help you, yesterday evening I tryed my X 11 with new front springs Ohlins.

First impact is good. I drived only some Km in the city so I didn't tell you something to similar a long test but the first sensations is that now is easier to enter in the curve.

Maybe but I have to test it , the rear wheel seems to swing a little but I drived only 5 km so I don't know.

To complete information I have original rear shock again so maybe I 'll have also to change it

Ciao.

Stefano

P.S. I think that Roger's advices are best solutions again.

Yep, first thing what i will do is change the oils in the forks, dont know when they have been changed. Maybe also preload adjusters on the top of the forks, i think that BB`s will fit. After that i will check what spring options i can get.

Thanks.

Does anybody knows if the BB`s öhlins springs are the same as X-11`s

One "friend" is selling those BB`s springs.

I can't see how they can be much different?

Might not be the same, BB part # 08633-95

X-11 part # 08668-90

Shame....

Probably just a stiffer spring or something?

Those numbers -90 and -95 may be the "hardnes" of the springs, X-11 90 Nm and BB 95 Nm....

Maybe will buy those, 100e test...

I can't see what else really, the fork legs are the same dimensions?