Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest 4 cylinder

speedo/rev counter illumination

3 posts in this topic

hi guys am i right in thinking a common issue with the speedo/rev counter is that when dark these do night light up particularly well, my Y plate X11 is terrible has any one replaced the bulbs and if so what wattage have they used,

I though exactly the same.

There are 3 wedge type bulbs (also known as T10 or 501) proving the backlight for the clocks. I tried a number of different LED bulbs before I settled on these SMD types:

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/501194t10-mini-light-tower-leds-xenon-white-p-2265.html

Shop around though, you can find them cheaper elsewhere (think I got them from "the bay"). LED's only work one way round though, so check that they work BEFORE you put the clocks back together.

I tried the single LED type (looks like a dome), and the single SMD type, but they both cast their light straight out, you really need some that cast their light to the sides, which I why I went for the ones above. There are some longer ones that will be a lot brighter, but they wouldn't have fitted into the clocks. I also replaced the indicator flashers with single SMD types, and they catch the eye a lot more now, so I don't forget to turn them off any more.