Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest PxMetro

X11 Rear Brake pedal anomaly

17 posts in this topic

Hi All, I have never posted on here before, but was wondering if anyone could help with a brake problem.

Has anyone experienced excessive travel with the rear brake pedal? I have noticed mine getting progressively worse, to the point that when attempting to hold the bike stationary at a junction using the rear brake pedal, the pedal has to be pumped to become solid. I have just changed the brake pads all round with genuine replacements to see if that helps, but problem is still exactly the same. The front seems to work fine. Have had the bike from new, first registered in 1999. There are no visible signs of fluid leaks, so am mystified as to what the problem could be. Any help would be appreciated.

:welcome:

It may just be that your brake fluid is well over a decade old and needs changing?

All right there,

Sorry to hear you're having a problem with the old girl, but it's good to hear of a one owner machine.

I'd start with a couple of questions:

You say that there are no obvious leaks, and I assume the fluid level is ok, but in the past has it ever dropped low enough for air to enter the master cylinder? (or has it been on it's side?)

Also when was the brake fluid last changed? It's supposed to be done every couple of years or so.

If it was mine I'd get it up on a paddock stand and start by bleeding the brakes to make sure there isn't any air in the system, if that didn't sort it I'd continue bleeding the system until all the old fluid had been replaced with fresh new fluid. If you still have to pump the lever to get braking force then I would be thinking of replacing the master cylinder - It's probably easier to just replace the cylinder with a second hand one, rather than stripping it to check/replace the seals.

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

Good luck

Marty

My vote for bleeding the system, at the same time you get the fluids changed.

Thanks for your responses folks, great to talk with people with similar tastes in bikes. A little history; I bought mine in Stamford in October 1999 from what was then a shop called Motomove. The bikes last dealer service was at 8000 miles in 2003, it's now done just over 12000, but I am not sure whether a fluid change would have been part of the earlier services. I can verify that it certainly has not been changed in the last 7 years. (appalling I know, but it doesn't get used much)

Anyway; back to the matter in hand. I bled all 3 calliper positions relevant to the rear brake pedal today, with no evidence of air in the system, so pedal is just the same as it was. I take the point that it may be the rear master cylinder, but there seems to be several other devices in the system that I'm thinking could contribute to the problem. For instance, I notice there is a lot of movement in the vertical cylinder mounted on the NS front fork leg which is actuated by the vertical movement of the NS caliper. How much movement should I expect to see? or is it not linked to the same circuit? :dontknow:

For instance, I notice there is a lot of movement in the vertical cylinder mounted on the NS front fork leg which is actuated by the vertical movement of the NS calipe

That'll be spongy through air content... they are a bastard to bleed properly.

You can remove that from the caliper and work it with a bar or you can use a pressure bleeder.... watch it when you've done it tho as a stamp on the pedal will lock the front wheel!!!

Thanks Eddy, I shall persevere with it

Paul

Hi Paul , yours is not the first time someones brakes have gone spongy on the rear , I don't know how but it seams to happen on machines that do low mileage without any real reason. I think its a lesson for all of us not to ignore the fact that brake fluid goes off as well and needs replacing.

Just another question , when was your coolant last changed ?

Regards John

Ps "Marty mine is a 1 owner machine since Aug 2000"

Edited by x11r

Nice one John, look after her.

I've had my R1 from new (25/05/2000), I can remember the exact date because I got 3 points for speeding bringing it back from the dealers - oops.

Hi Paul , yours is not the first time someones brakes have gone spongy on the rear , I don't know how but it seams to happen on machines that do low mileage without any real reason. I think its a lesson for all of us not to ignore the fact that brake fluid goes off as well and needs replacing.

Just another question , when was your coolant last changed ?

Regards John

Ps "Marty mine is a 1 owner machine since Aug 2000"

Ahh...another failing on my part. Certainly not been changed in the last 7 years, but does not seem to have caused any problems thus far.

As for the brakes, I have been trying to work out how the linking system works, as I have not been able to track down a flow / circuit diagram, but I think I have just about sussed it. Just one thing though, there is a device connected into the rear circuit, mounted just above the rear fluid reservoir with a conical shaped protrusion on one side. Any idea what it does?

Paul

There's an article I've put up about the braking system here.... http://www.mediafire.com/?9mmhgwtgzmc

Thanks Eddy, It all seems to make sense now. The device I was refering too then in my previous comment turns out to be the Proportional Control Valve.

Cheers

Paul , coolant turns acidic after a couple of years and could cause corrosion so a good move would be to change that as well.

John

Along with Paul and John my X11 is also a one owner from new bike July 2001 was the month I was inducted into the X Clan.

Along with Paul and John my X11 is also a one owner from new bike July 2001 was the month I was inducted into the X Clan.

Good God Andy, I seem to be some what distracted reading your post..........I wonder why that might be :drool:

Hi All, I have never posted on here before, but was wondering if anyone could help with a brake problem.

Has anyone experienced excessive travel with the rear brake pedal? I have noticed mine getting progressively worse, to the point that when attempting to hold the bike stationary at a junction using the rear brake pedal, the pedal has to be pumped to become solid. I have just changed the brake pads all round with genuine replacements to see if that helps, but problem is still exactly the same. The front seems to work fine. Have had the bike from new, first registered in 1999. There are no visible signs of fluid leaks, so am mystified as to what the problem could be. Any help would be appreciated.

Well...I have managed to bleed the rear brakes, with positive results. Managed to get some air out of the system, but have no idea how it got in ther in the first place. I bought a vacuum device from Sealey that draws the brake fluid out though the bleed nipples, which seemed to work quite well.

I found this thread on the Blackbird owners club that quotes the sequence to follow when bleeding the linked braking system, it certainly helped me.

http://www.ixxra.com...ngthebrakes.htm

:eyes2:

There's an article I've put up about the braking system here.... http://www.mediafire.com/?9mmhgwtgzmc

Thanks a lot... I feel like budha :D

I just understand why I brakeing harder than I want with my beast.

Edited by photosniper