Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest pooroldbugger

Fork Lowers

8 posts in this topic

Hi all, I know this isn't the right place to post this question but what the hell -

I've been giving the old gal a bit of a tidy up - and thought I'd do the bike too Arf Arf!

Question is - fork lowers: They're looking a tad shabby and look like they need a good rub down and re-paint. Has anyone taken on this job already and if so what did you do, what did you use and how well did it last?

Ed, I guess you've already covered this somewhere along the line. I did do a search but didnt come up with anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all - Terry :huh:

Terry.

take them to bits, seal all the thread holes and any other holes with sacrificial bolts and threaded rod and penny washers etc, and take them to your local powder coaters and get them powder coated, doing them yourself with a spray can will last about 5 minutes, taking them to bits can be a bit tricky if you do not have the correct tools, if not support your bike take out the stanchions and ask a local bike shop to remove the uppers from the lowers.

Good luck Pete.

You can always polish them instead - and they won't chip again (unlike paint or powdercoating), but you will have to keep them polished. Choice is yours ;)

pete

Pete

True with the polishing not chipping, the polishing kit it will be the cheapest option as well if you add up the cost of the powder coat and the new seals & oil etc, although with polishing as you say you do need to keep polishing it to keep it looking smart and too much polishing can make your bike look as though it is a re-build.

Pete.

Thanks for the replies

I guess if you get fed up with polishing them you can always powder coat them after eh. I have just done the rims funnily enough, and with the mop on a small bench grinder it'll only take a couple of mins every so often to keep them up to scratch but with the forks, more elbow grease is needed.

I'll strip them back anyways and take it from there. I didnt know if anyone has tried that clear aerosol that's supposed to be anti-chip.

Cheers lads, much appreciated.

Try autoglym silver wheel paint.comes in a spray can and goes on thick and even.2coats should give a good finish and it lasts well even if its used in winter.bout 6squid a tin from halfrauds.good stuff tho.

Long time since the original post... just though I'd let you know I tried cutting back the original paint. Fook me it aint meant to come off easily is it? All I did in the end was to cut back what wanted to come off with an abraisive mop, scoured the rest of the leg lowers then promed them with a good quality primer and solver wheeled them (as suggested above). I make sure they're cleaned of salt/other road shite now and they still look very very respectable. So chappies..... if you want a quick 'get you out of trouble' remedy, I can recomment this. Just be thorough with the preparation.

Good to hear you sorted them. the autoglym silver wheel paint is brilliant and very durable. did the wifes car wheels bout 2yrs ago and that gets driven everyday in all weathers.not bad for ?6 a can!! :thumbsup: