Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest mikerbull1

Head bearing

7 posts in this topic

Checking my head bearings I'm not sure if I have a problem or not. Any comments would be appreciated. There seems to be a notchy feeling when moving the the steering back and forth at a particular point. Its exactly in the middle on the range of movement, in other words when the wheel is pointing straight ahead. I would normally just assume that this is a steering head bearing wear problem but I have got to wondering if this is something characteristic on an X11 or indeed a Honda. Something which is deliberately there for the central position. In the manual it also talks about a spring test on the steering head which possibly means this retaining force in the central position is intentional. The stearing head certainly feels smooth outside of the central position on both sides. Before I go ahead and change the bearings I thought I'd check with members for their comments. Many thanks, Mike Bull

They don't last long especially if you don't grease them at about 4,000 miles from new.

If you have any doubt I'd replace them...

It sounds like they are worn , the symptoms you are describing sound like an mot failure as well so I'd replace them , replace the bottom dust seal as well because I doubt if you will get the lower race off the yoke without damaging this.

Edited by x11r

They don't last long especially if you don't grease them at about 4,000 miles from new.

If you have any doubt I'd replace them...

Many thanks, mike

It sounds like they are worn , the symptoms you are describing sound like an mot failure as well so I'd replace them , replace the bottom dust seal as well because I doubt if you will get the lower race off the yoke without damaging this.

Thanks for your advice regards mike

Hi everyone. My first question on the forum with reference to my second X11 (2000 on an X plate). :)

There is a heavy notch in the centre position so I ordered a bearing set with dust seals from David Silver. I noticed and they confirmed today that the bearings do not come with the outer portion that the bearings run against. They do not supply them. They have told me that the outer bearing is in the frame?? Not sure what this means for getting the job done. I would assume that the notchiness could be caused by wear in the outer. What is involved in getting these out...can they be got out? If so, can they be bought somewhere? Any help appreciated.

Cheers

There are inner and outer races, the inner ones on the steering stem need special tools to fit, according to honda.

Unless the races are scored to buggery, just replace the bearings, packing them with plenty of grease.