Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest phpbiker

Definite Clutch Problem Caused By Condensation?

13 posts in this topic

Seems like I have a definite clutch problem and this problem is accompanied or caused by condensation in the clutch housing and the white scum it causes.

As soon as the bike warms and is running the scum disappears. However the clutch plates still appear to suffer, they are swollen and or damaged

I know one other X-11 owner locally, and he has problems with condensation and clutch drag. I recently met a bbird owner and he had noticed some condensation in the winter months too.

My question is does anyone think that changing the clutch plates may help?

Is there a mod that can help with the condensation?

Or any other points offered that may help me make my clutch smooth.

Its especially annoying as you want to blip the throttle to hear my lovely new pipes and the clutch drag makes the transmission clack as it takes up the slack...archh..

I LOVE the way this bike rides, I know because James' was feckin great to ride. Mine is too.. aside from clutch drag.

I am worried if I change the plates the condensation will just swell them back up again.

Any help.. really gratefully received.

What Oil are you using ?

& what oil has been used in the past, sounds like the damage was done, before you got her.

Engine flush + new plates should sort it .

Condensation in the oil is usually caused by short journeys and not letting the engine to reach the correct working temperature..or a leaking head gasket :huh:

Wayne's idea is what i would do. Drop the oil, flush it, take it on a long run and hammer the balls off it.

It could have been one of them bikes that just pootle along at 30 and never get any heavy throttle action.

Hope it's not the HG gone though!

Nah,

More than extremely unlikely.

No overheating at all. No loss of coolant. No steaming..nada..

And have performed an oil change and saw no signs in the oil itself of antifreeze mingling or significant amounts of water.

Water only turns up in that clutch housing. It appears after exhaustive searches on the bbird forums that its very common.

I have met a blackbird AND X-11 owner personally with the same problem that have noticed this scum. Mad as that seems as no one on here seems to have noticed it?

My local Honda dealer And Sutton Honda in Tamworth were the bike was serviced said they have seen this on BBirds themselves!?!..

My bike is a sunny weather bike only.. and had only done 500 miles from the last service to when I bought it over 2 YEARS !!!

Although I have put more miles on, its now garaged for the English Winter. (b@stard)...

Looks like I need to change the clutch and use it as often as possible. James' bike was ...obviously used to the Max in any weathers as Ken will testify...

Mine is older but looks like it just left the show room. As James will testify LOL...

phpbiker quote...

My bike is a sunny weather bike only.. and had only done 500 miles from the last service to when I bought it over 2 YEARS !!!

That could be the reason for the condensation then.

Al tho I don't use my bike often this time of year I try to run it once a month , but I leave running for 15-20 Min's to get the heat right through the engine and gearbox , maybe you should try that ?

I've been taking the blighter out in the rain to keep it warm recently!..

You guys are obviously right, its the lack of use causing the problem.

I'll blast the bugger around Europe this year and wack some new clutch plates in it. That'll sort her smile.gif

Where do you Keep it Jake , Mine sits outside in a lean too and Ive never had problems with the oil , shortest journeys I do (when I use it) are to work and back which is about 17-18 miles , if you use it for short trips go the long way just to get things warmed through nicely.

Mines in a garage. Dry, aside from the odd big drip that runs down the seems LOL...

Its just a shame that it had so little use for 2 years and that's set the clutch off.

Bike has a PC3 and a set of cans now and some headers coming soon, as it is, it goes so much better. Like wow.. I didn't realise how much smoother and rapid it would be.

Now I just want to get the thing perfect.

friend had it on a bird turned out to be the o ring on the oil filler cap was damaged let moisture in when it cooled in the cold garage worth trying as they are only pence to replace