Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest tinhook

swingarm

14 posts in this topic

happy new year everyone, i hope this year treats you better than the last one. does anyone know if a single-sided swingarm from a vfr will fit an x11? mine has some scoring from a previous owner and, unfortunately, i bought street-fighter magazine the other day & liked the look. (if i will fit, i doubt i`ll do anything about it, i`m not allowed to do anything technical, my track record is nothing to be proud of.) look forward to your replies, as always in your gratitude, jim.

Anything can be made to fit if you have access to a machine shop to build the necessary spacers ect...

I'd be concerned with the structural strength of the frame tho... Honda designed it to have built in "flex" to promote more of a raw feel to the riding experience. I'd worry about putting too much load on it myself with a single sider set-up.

thanks eddy, will probably end up either repairing mine or replacing it with am unmolested one, need to get my infinatly more capable step sons to do it for me though, but as they are more into classic cars, i may have to get my wife on my side. wish me luck, jim.

you can get bargains from a certain site

I got an unmarked swing arm as a spare for my previous x11 - how much did it cost me...

£! - yes £1 (plus £20 postage from France) !

Pitty I don't have it any more.

Hi there are two standard swing arms for sale on that auction site at the moment.Bry

While I was at the TT this year, I had a chat with a guy who had put a single sided VFR arm onto his streetfightered Blackbird. His bike was featured in Streetfighters magazine a couple of months back - think it was issue 201.

It was a pretty straightforward mod, just requiring a spacer (think it was 25mm - but don't quote me) to go on the right hand side of the arm mount, and a little modification to the top shock mount (it has to be moved a little off centre). You'd need a new shock too as the X's wouldn't be long enough, but you'd hope to pickup the arm, linkage, shock and wheel together anyway.

There's loads of differences with the x11 down there.

Having owned both the twin sided and the single sided vfr's I can tell you that there no diffrence betweenthem expect that the single sided is more heavied but looks better.Some of the write ups said the twin sided swing arm is better but they know more than me as I found the main thing outside of looks was the ease of back wheel change on the single sided one.I always thought the single sided change only suited the fireblade.Bry :huh:

well, now you`ve gone and got me thinking that i could replace my swingarm for a singlesided one, all i need is to find streetfighter mag #201, purchase said swingarm + gubbins, a weekend off and plenty of beer, oh, and i will need the numbers of a competent mechanic and the local ambulance station on speed dial to sort out my mistakes when they inevitably happen. i should spend the money on a new kitchen door, that needs replacing before my swingarm, after all, 70+ hours worked between christmas & new year, why would i want to waste money on something so trivial? :( jim.

I had done a small amount of research on fitting a single sided swingarm, the VFR 750 one will not fit without major reworking. The early ones will not easily fit a fireblade either. Some people have fitted a triumph single sider the their blades but you have no chance with one of them on the X.

You will need one off a VFR800 I did have the measurements but seem to have lost them, but from memory the external width is ok to fit straight in but it is the inner width that is the problem, it is too small. This left 2 options have the pivot mount machined down or have some of the frame altered. The X11 frame is not the same as a blackbird. At the front it is but the back casting is totally different this is where the engine and swingarm mount, a blackbird swingarm wont fit the X11.

Now there is one man on here who can tell you for sure what is needed and what fits because he has one fitted, that is Toby he has the X11 with a HM Plant paint job.

I asked the same question a few yrs ago. It can be done to the x11 but it's not going to be a cheap modification.

Here's one fitted

post-97-0-84573100-1294542563_thumb.jpg

Chris, Toby's x11 has the standard swingarm mate. Well it did have last time i saw it a few months ago.

ah ok, thought it was his bike, sorry for wrong info

I know its an old thread but I have the chance to get a complete VFR800 swingarm, wheel, suspension linkage, shock, the whole shebang, quite cheap. Did anyone gather any more info on this or do it? I may get it anyway... <grin>....

kr D.

Someone did it... I think they had some spacers machined up to fit it in the frame.

Make sure you get the caliper and its steady too.