Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest mikerbull1

Exhaust Header Blowing ?

7 posts in this topic

Wondered if anyone might have any ideas on this one. The bike seems to have developed a noise which sounds like an exhaust header is blowing. It starts fine then after a few minutes a blowing noise just starts. Carn't see anything wrong with the headers but something is blowing. Any advice woul dbe appreciated. regards mike

It could be difficult to diagnose that one without actually hearing it.

All I can suggest if it is the exhaust is to check for leaks, which you already have and go over all the clamps and bolts and make sure they are tight which I guess you already have done too?

Sorry can`t be of more help

Maybe cracked welding somewhere, starts to blow when warm. That is normal (if there is a crack) because metal is expanding when hot.

If you have a standard header, take away those heat shields and block left side can. Start the bike, let it warm up, and block the right side can, now you might notice where it blows (before bike stalls). VERY IMPORTANT! DONT BURN your hand (or nose) :laugh: when blocking the can!

Edited by Maintenanceman

Sounds like it may be wise to start the bike from cold after spraying the headers with a water and washing up liquid mix to see if it shows where its blowing.

If its from around the joints at the cylinder head then it would pay to remove the headers and fit new gaskets.

part no 18291-MW3-670

Edited by x11r

Has the bike had any work done on it lately that involved removing the head or airbox? I was thinking the head may not be tightened down properly or the airbox not sealed right. Possible radiator fan coming on too early?? :unsure:

just wondering if there may be a small crack in the airbox which opens when its under pressure or as already be said a bad seal around the airbox :mellow: