Guest paulo6000

lowering ride height

23 posts in this topic

hi everyone, does anyone out there know of a way to reduce the seat height on the x11? i have shaved a bit off the seat profile and this has helped but i could do with another inch or so. i know i can have a custom made shock and there are places that will do a professional lowering job but both of these work out too costly for my pocket. is there a simpler method or is there a shorter shock off another model that would fit. thanks paul.

:welcome:

You may be better looking at lowering the rear sub-frame.... (as others look to raise it!)

I wouldn't want to mess about with altering the geometry of the rear suspension....

Just watch for wheel clearance if you do... good luck and keep us posted.

OK, old topic, let's update.

How bout today, anybody done lowering, share experience? It seems like there are ~30mm rear lowering kits available, but I haven't found proper pictures to see the actual product - I have no idea how they actually works.

I'm thinking of dropping the ride height a few cm's mainly by tweaking the suspension, so as height limited I would be more comfortable and secure when standing still. Now I'm kinda tip-toeing when keeping both feet on the ground (already dropped the bike once last summer at walking speed - no damage though!)

Lowering the subframe is not an option because of the looks, but I could think of re-shaping the seat foam a bit. But I don't want to shave the seat too much, because it would increase the knee angle. Affecting the lean angle doesn't matter, since I'm not doing trackdays or high-speed driving/cornering anyway.

Those kits usually involve shorter dog-bone links, the x11 doesn't have any so it's a bit more difficult.

Fraid its a shorter shock or alter the subframe angle, imho anyway. I'd go for trying to alter the subframe angle myself...

As Eddie says, no dog bones on an X, only on Blackbirds, thats one of the many minor differences...

kr  D.

If you did go for the seat altering option you can get adjustable pegs so the knee angle could be kept the same.

I was thinking for example, what these kits actually does: http://www.powerbronze.co.uk/2437626/2360795/899666/TAIL-LOWERING-KIT---HONDA-X11-99-%2830MM%29---Item.item or http://www.motorcycle-road-and-race.co.uk/hyperpro-lowering-kit-honda-x11-99-

No pic of the actual product, and by looking at the current setup on the bike I just cannot figure out how they works? Seems to be some generic dogbone altering thingy in pictures, but it doesn't make sense. And I'm sure they wouldn't list a product that doesn't exist?

If I would be altering the subframe angle, I'd had to do quite a dramatic drop to make any difference. As I'm on the short side, I'm already keeping my knackers to the tank while on the bike - and that's where the least dropping would be ;) It would just make the bike look kinda depressed.

I have actually checked the adjustable pegs option too, and I might be doing it anyway. Though it might require some modifying for rear brake and gear shift levers, but that's not an issue. 

Edited by mitch83

I suspect that they also are assuming that X11 = Blackbird. And it doesn't!

See the images below. The swingarm has no linkages, and the shock top mounts (numbered 1 in pic) bolt directly to the chassis. So to lower it, the shock HAS to be shorter. Increasing the ride height is possible, by sticking spacers under the bolts of the mounts (1), but not lowering.  Some people, such as Shock Factory (unashamed plug!..) will build you a shorter shock, but even a small amount (e.g. 5mm) makes a significant difference, so, be careful!

kr d.

shock.jpgswingarm.jpg

Hmm, could it be? I'm not sure...  if the lower end is moved backwards, it is already at the edge of the swingarm (see the .jpg), but if you move it forwards, that already raises the height, and you have to come down even more.

I'll look at mine later today, I have to do some stuff to it anyway...   :)

-D

Looks like it goes on the top mount?

There is one lowering kit available here in Finland,

http://www.storm-motor.fi/osat/moottoripyorat/honda/cb1100sf-x-11/2001/mfw-madallussarja-pera-25mm-mfw-150020015/

Just go to Turku to check it out :)

Haha, seems like I'm again going... uh... "merta edemmäs kalaan" :D

My local Storm dealer is just 2min drive away from my work, could as well check with them. And I just got their customer-bouns-card-thing too :rolleyes:

Looks like it goes on the top mount?

Now i am thinking that what the hell i was thinking :rolleyes:

Hmm maybe so Eddie (top mount). The bottom you can move back a bit, if no hugger(!) and it could then go down slightly, I looked while tweaking the new front wheel (see the other thread..). Top would have to go backwards and up, up more since it's lessening the shock angle, but anyway, even 5mm is a fair bit.

If you drop the rear heigth don't forget dropping the front too. My wife rides a cbr600f and it was lowered by half an inch at the rear and an inch at the fork so the riding level everywhere at the bottom of the bike has not changed.

OK folks... lots of pics :)

This is the actual part:

IMG_4293.JPG

Comparison with the original part. Shaving a couple of millimeters at this point is doing much more for the seat height.

IMG_4294.JPG

The old part removed (it was kinda PIA to remove...)
IMG_4297.JPG

While the "top nut" is removed anyway, why not taking the whole assembly apart and give it a good cleaning and inspection?
IMG_4300.JPG

There, better! The whole thing cleaned and re-painted where possible. I had some leftover red Hammerite paint, so I thinned it for spray gun and also re-sprayed the spring. Assembled with our new "lowering kit".

IMG_4301.JPG

Also the front needs to be dropped.
IMG_4304.JPG

I just slid the fork up, and masked the top part (with black "plasti-dip" paint and black vinyl tape). It's actually better this way, fits better with the LSL handlebar adapter  B) 
IMG_4308.JPG

So this is how the front looks
IMG_4310.JPG

And the rear

IMG_4316.JPG

It did drop some, I didn't measure how much though. I still cannot flat-foot on both sides, though I feel much more secure. But now I can flat-foot on one side when stopping to lights! Without having to slide my arse too much... 

Well done Mitch, looks as though you have done a good job there.

Nice job Mitch. Thanks for perfect documenting

Great job Riku, now you just need the weather to show it off.

There's still a few unfinished things with the bike... I'll post a pic of the whole bike once I'm fully finished.

Do you have a pic how much space are there under the seat?