Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest phpbiker

Lost Back Of Key

13 posts in this topic

Somehow, I've lost the back of one of my valuable keys.

I can see the chip kept inside by what looks like a rubberised sealant cement.

Who reckons its OK to fill this void with some epoxy resin?

you could try that but I would be prepare to buy a replacement key,david silver to them for £17 if you fancy trying to encode it yourself,its on the Forum how to do it ,I paid myself as electrics are not my thing :huh:

What?

You can encode yourself?

Blimey.. how and where?

Searching now.. I paid too.. not again if I don't have too.

If I did do the resin thing, I would put a bit of tape over the chips covering to further insulate it from the heat of the reaction and use a slow 24 hour epoxy as they are less viscous with the heat.

Edited by phpbiker

Yep it can be done DIY. The Honda set up is a 'box' that plugs into the pulse generator connector, this 'box' contains not much more than a resistor, the procedure is documented in the manual, where it relates to the 'box' substitute by shorting out the pulse generator connector either directly or with a resistor.I DONT TAKE ACCEPT ANY LIABILTY FOR USING THIS METHOD AS I HAVE NOT TRIED IT MYSELF IT WAS TAKEN FROM www perthstreetbikes.com.go to the forum, how to section and the thread relates to adding a hiss key to a cbr1000RR.

Edited by standish honda

Yeah guys,

I know there are a lot of Scot's with X-11's but I aint one of them :-) (Joke!!)

If I bust the key I'll get the dealer to sort it :-) It's not expensive.

Then why are you asking advice regarding bodging up your key with epoxy resin? ;)

I aint completely busted it yet WG..

It only looks crap smile.gif

I'd protect the chip with clear silicone before adding the epoxy. Good luck with it.

In addition to the black silicon it already has holding it in place?

Some silicones contains acid, be careful with those!

Yep it can be done DIY. The Honda set up is a 'box' that plugs into the pulse generator connector, this 'box' contains not much more than a resistor, the procedure is documented in the manual, where it relates to the 'box' substitute by shorting out the pulse generator connector either directly or with a resistor.I DONT TAKE ACCEPT ANY LIABILTY FOR USING THIS METHOD AS I HAVE NOT TRIED IT MYSELF IT WAS TAKEN FROM www perthstreetbikes.com.go to the forum, how to section and the thread relates to adding a hiss key to a cbr1000RR.

Little bit more about this. It is not a box, it is just a wire (Honda calls it "inspection wire") with connector for pulser wire connector (wire harnes side) and those "jaws" for connection to battery. Some Honda models requires different part number wire that cantains resistor so that the voltage what is feeded to the wire harnes (that pulser connector) is less than 12v.

Adapter.jpg

The Genuine honda one is listed on http://alturl.com/r42mp David Silvers site @ £27.57 on special order.

Who will be brave enough :violent1::dontknow:

Edited by x11r

Didn't sommeone do this on their bike and said it was really easy? I remember reading about it on here. Seems it should be straight forward enough.