Guest marklintonarnold

CLUTCH NOISE WHEN COLD

17 posts in this topic

I am new to this forum so will say hi to everyone first, i am a new owner of a X11 2000 "W" and its done 22k but does have this noise when you first fire it up. if you pull the clutch lever in - it stops also it goes away when the bike is upto full temp - now ive spoken to a few people and they reckon its the clutch basket but i wanted to run it past you guys - is this normal? and what about cost involved etc? Many Thanks

Fit ear plugs & helmet before starting bike, solves most problems...... except none starting.

Edited by wayne

So this is totally normal and nothing to worry about?

Thats right Mark,

some make more noise than others(slightly) but its more annoying to you the owner, think how a ducati rider must feel, pulling up at a tea bar with somthing thats sounds like a bag of bolts, as long as it dissapears when the clutch is pulled in & when its warm its the same as all of the rest of ours.

Welcome Mark and if you pull the clutch lever in until it warms up the noise nearly goes away. Once warm all is good though. Enjoy!

'they all do that sir!" welcome, mine does exactly the same )

OK guys but what actually causes it? My mate has a X11 and his has done 6k and his is silent all the time. Can it be fixed cheaply?

Hi Mark, don't worry about the noise, mine has allways done it aswell as the other lads bikes.

I changed the oil & filter in mine 2 weeks ago and noticed the noise is not as bad. Totally disapears after a mile or so but i doubt i'd hear anything with loud cans and earplugs! :laugh:

I start mine with the clutch lever pulled in, then as soon as it starts and after 5 secs or so, i slowly release the lever.

Oh and :welcome: to the club! ;)

It could be down to the age of the plates and the tags getting tired it is not the basket, i`ve never heard an X that dosnt do it nor a blackbird for that matter. I am intending to replace my clutch this winter as it`s getting worn so might be able to say for sure once it`s done.

OK all seems good then, another question if i may, where an earth can i get a radiator cover from as some pleb has painted mine blue?

Just get them re sprayed it will be a lot cheaper

i got a little gizmo from Henri (maintenanceman) that is actually a brake lever holder but works on the clutch. I slip it on over the clutch handle until it's warm while i'm getting ready and then take it off once it's warm.

Or I just let it warm up if i'm out or too lazy to use it.

i got a little gizmo from Henri (maintenanceman) that is actually a brake lever holder but works on the clutch. I slip it on over the clutch handle until it's warm while i'm getting ready and then take it off once it's warm.

Or I just let it warm up if i'm out or too lazy to use it.

Hahaa, i`m also often lazy with it :rolleyes:

Mark is it the plastic middle section that's been painted blue? I have a spare middle section left, however James got the LH and RH sides to repair his bike!

Mark is it the plastic middle section that's been painted blue? I have a spare middle section left, however James got the LH and RH sides to repair his bike!

Its the whole thing thats painted - i like the original finish any ideas?

Have it stripped and painted back to honda paint ,codes are on the club sites. Bry