Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest tinhook

mpg

22 posts in this topic

:huh: just worked out that i`m getting 43ish mpg out of my x, is this good, bad or am i worrying for nothing? my comute is mainly the a12 & m25, legalish speeds & pleanty of slow filtering. i do have a pair of art cans, would this have any impact? look forward to your replies and advice, jim.

I get about 43 too. I'm happy with that.

Edited by stupotads

:worship: so, i was worrying for nothing. thanks guys, yet again you have been invaluable to me, i promise that as soon as i get a full time job or even regular work, i`m joining. most of the `bikers` at work think i have a duff bike, some pretend to have never heard of it, but as they have the latest `sports`bikes, i can forgive their ignorance. :x11red: yum!

Hi James. I just got back form a trip to Berlin. Rode about 2500 miles in all. I checked mielage along the way and with tailbag, keeping speeds around 90 MPH, I was getting an astonishing 45-6 mpg. I took it up to a steady 120MPH, then goofed off around 140 for a while for a while on the Autobahn and ended with about 38mpg. Was really surprised at the difference.

My reserve light came on at 167 miles once and then 171. I feared it had broken and I'd run out of fuel. On th eway home I got up to 193 miles before I could reach a petrol station. I was well chuffed with the results, overall.

I usually get about 42 - 3, so I think the few extra MPG was good.

PS You're worrying for nothing - anything over 40 MPG with such a big engine and the weight is a good thing.

Hi James. I just got back form a trip to Berlin. Rode about 2500 miles in all. I checked mielage along the way and with tailbag, keeping speeds around 90 MPH, I was getting an astonishing 45-6 mpg. I took it up to a steady 120MPH, then goofed off around 140 for a while for a while on the Autobahn and ended with about 38mpg. Was really surprised at the difference.

My reserve light came on at 167 miles once and then 171. I feared it had broken and I'd run out of fuel. On th eway home I got up to 193 miles before I could reach a petrol station. I was well chuffed with the results, overall.

I usually get about 42 - 3, so I think the few extra MPG was good.

PS You're worrying for nothing - anything over 40 MPG with such a big engine and the weight is a good thing.

193 miles! holy crapola, that is good, i have a 80 mile round trip to work and i get just under 2 trips then my petrol light comes on. unfortunately, i`m back on silly o`clock start times & i don't think my neighbours, who have children & normal jobs, would appreciate my x sparking up at 1.30-2.00am so i`m taking my car, which often means an hour and a half + journey home, woopie-freakin-doo! cheers for your reply james, hope berlin was good for you, incidentally, when you mentioned the weight, were you refering to the bike or have you been speaking to my wife? thanks again, jim

Commuting takes the mpg down, I've noticed. Sorry to hear about the car instead of bike - much better on a bike!

Yes, the weight thing is always an issue - anywhere we can shed some of it should help. HAHA!

berlin and Germany were great - really wish I was rich, so I could do things like that more often and longer. (sigh) Oh well, back to work and glad to have it, I guess.

Was also surprised with teh 193 - actually scared me a bit and was certain I'd run out. Best I got though, the rest was always a bit lower.

you're talking about mpg, but is it US ou UK mpg?

UK. I know, they sell petrol by the litre here but still measure everything in miles instead of KM. So, you have to convert the litres to Gallons to figure it out.

If you told a Brit or American you're using 5 litres per 100 KM they'd have no idea what that means.

an example:

40 mpg US is 5.88L/100km

40 mpg UK is 7.06L/100km

do you understand like that? so which one do you use?

yep, understand that:

It's for Imperial (UK) gallons. I use this formula: Litres x .22 = Gallons (it's actually .2199 but Iround up to .22 to make it easier).

US conversion is L x .26 = G (actually .2641).

So, it's closer to 7/100 litres.

Hope that helps and thanks for the clarificaiton above - made it easier to answer.

i actually ran out of petrol the other day for the 1st time in years goin down to see my son in brize norton it went from full to stop in 155 miles but i do tend to ride like a t wat

Yes you do, Tim :P but that seems like a very low mpg all the same.

I get really bad mpg when commuting and ran out once at about 165 unexpectedly (light was on but figured I had more in it from experience - who's the twat, then?!).

after one month of use and nearly 1500km done, i'm around 40-41mpg (UK)

Hi Julien. That looks like a normal average for the X11. Could be worse for such a big girl (well, friend of mine says it's a boy).

yeah, we can think it's not bad for this kind of bike, but i compare to my old ZX-10 (1988) and i feel that injected bike engines are not economical.

you can view my fuel consumption here. http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/403672.html and http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/211870.html

Don't forget though, your old zx10 had an aerodynamic fairing to help mpg so it would have been better on fuel ecomomy.

My old cbr1000f was the same, although riding it hard was no better on fuel than my x11.

Fast motorway riding, strong headwind and a naked bike means crap mpg. On a faired bike, you can tuck in behind the fairing so better mpg.

Simples! ;)

yes, that's what i finally found. it makes a big difference more than i was thinking, i drive at 110-130kmh maximum in normal driving.

what fuel consumption is the XX to compare?

At 80 mph on my recent trip to switzerland the best I got was 50mpg 212 miles before I filled up 19.43 litres my fuel light had been on for 10 miles ish.

After a thrash to Matlock last night on my Vmax, it did 30.92 to the gallon. :laugh:

WOW Ken! It's getting better! You must have been taking it easy... HAHA!

Hi I'm new here , and my English is not so gut..;) but I have a question about my x11

My x11 have K&N filter, exhaust nikko racing compression in all 4 cyl. 9bar..

I did 28 mpg my speed 75mph.. 4me too much