Maintenanceman

My headlight project

29 posts in this topic

Finally started, lazy me, whole winter and nothing done. Better late than never but now working.

Old look, with "bucket size" headlight.

Sorry about phone quality photos.

06042009496.jpg

New one needs a little bit adjusting on lower brackets, those rubbers needs to be little bit closer to each other.

Bending is the thing, brake hoses might fit after this, in original places, will see.

13042010243.jpg

Upper bracket needs to be done, will make it from aluminium, so that there is allso attachment for clock housing.

15042010245.jpg

This is new look, headlight might be little bit "not straight" because nothing is not tight yet, allso clock housing fits well.

New headlight is from "new" Hornet 600, colour is close enough, at least to my mind...

15042010246.jpg

15042010247.jpg

20042010251.jpg

21042010256.jpg

2 people like this

Allso i need to solve one electrical problem, old headlight uses H4 bulb, and it switches from low to high beam, they dont burn at the same time.

How ever, new one uses two H7 bulbs and needs to be wired so that when i put the high beam on, low stays on allso.

Relay maybe?

Looks great, menacing even. Well done. ( wish I had a garage like that )

Looks great, menacing even. Well done. ( wish I had a garage like that )

Thanks.

Me too, that is from my work...

That looks really good, would like to do the same mod myself. I would try with a relay then you will not have the worry of the wiring melting with the extra load of 2 bulbs running at the same time.

That looks really good, would like to do the same mod myself. I would try with a relay then you will not have the worry of the wiring melting with the extra load of 2 bulbs running at the same time.

Yeah, will do it like that, other option is to use Hornet light switch, dont know how much it cost....

But it would be easy way.

I think that it needs diod when done by relay, friend of mine tryed to do it for his ATV, when he switched low beam back on high stayed on allso, current went somehow wrong and keeped the relay pulled. I have to think about that.

Edited by Maintenanceman

That looks really nice, Henri! Good job. I'll ride mine up and you can "help" me with it! :laugh:

That looks really nice, Henri! Good job. I'll ride mine up and you can "help" me with it! :laugh:

:welcome:

Everything is done now :)

Just had to make one bracket, made it from some 6mm thick aluminium plate.

It seems like un symmetric, but it had to be, and you can see clearly that it is selfmade :laugh:

Here it is, not painted.

04052010260.jpg

Now painted, i dont care so much about the looks, it is hidden anyway.

05052010263.jpg

This is how it "sits" there.

05052010267.jpg

Allso had to be careful about the wires, so that they dont get pulled or bend too much.

05052010269.jpg

Final result is here.

Maybe too much "gap" between clockhousing and headlight but maybe better this way. Atleast there is enough room to get the angle of the light correct, so that the light dont blind anyone on the road.

06052010271.jpg

06052010270.jpg

06052010274.jpg

2 people like this

Wires and everything else fits fine behind the new headlight.

And yes, i put some "nyogel" in the connectors, so that the rain water dont mess up my electrical system :)

We call that stuff "volt grease"

Also brake hoses went to their own places.

06052010272.jpg

06052010273.jpg

1 person likes this

Everything is done now :)

Just had to make one bracket, made it from some 6mm thick aluminium plate.

It seems like un symmetric, but it had to be, and you can see clearly that it is selfmade :laugh:

Here it is, not painted.

04052010260.jpg

Maybe You want sell this item? :)

Cracking Job, well done!!

Maybe You want sell this item? :)

Dont have any left :laugh: And i need this one :laugh:

You resolved problem with high beam?

You resolved problem with high beam?

No. Just connected it straight, low beam shuts down when i change to high beam.

Amount of light is ok, no need to change it, yet...

What indicators have you used, after market items, or genuine Honda? Looks great.

What indicators have you used, after market items, or genuine Honda? Looks great.

Those are aftermarkets.

Maybe not final version :rolleyes:

Looks good :) Have you experience some problems with the light? You did connect the old wire straight from H4 to The new hornet`s 2 H7 light??? Does it work that way with old relay?

Just got my Hornet headlight, little paintjob before fitting.

No problems at all, it was last summer when i made some modifications...

I made that relay mod what allows low beam stay on when i change high beam on. That can be made with diode also but in that case diode gets very hot and can melt something.

After this mod i changed those bulbs to HID`s

:worship: HID, no coming back for old ones :)

Only small problem with these was fitting those ballast`s behind the headlight cover, i had that set with those bigger ballasts lying around, first plan was to change them to my Audi TT`s high beam but X-11 won.

I made that first connection straight from original H4 connector, just had to "divide" that ground wire to two new bulbs.

If i remember right, i used that Hornet headlight sub harness for that, costed some euros but not much, easier when you have bulb connectors "ready".

Btw, i think that there is no "original relay" in that system, that high/low switch feeds that H4 bulb straight.

It would be wise to use some relay to protect the switch, specially if you connect those H7`s like i did, it will take almost double amps when you use them at the same time.

That switch might not be able to handle that amount of current.

I also noticed small little bit annoying thing with those HID`s if i put lights on before starting the bike, the light shuts down and wont come on unless i put the switch off-on again. I can live with that thou.

AJdch.jpg

Before and after :)

Maybe a bit to big gap between headligt and indikator "you now what a mean"... And same problem as you low beam shouts down when high beam turns on. But let that be a problem for future Fujix :)

Think I gonna make a wind screen so that gap gets hidden...?

3 people like this

Looks good tho! :)

Looks good tho! :)

Hi, where I can by hornet headlight with its all plastic features?

Herni, would you be able to make more of the aluminium brackets?