Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Robroy

K&N Air Filter

14 posts in this topic

Hi Guys. Just bought a K&N Air Filter and when I was going to fit it the instructions on the box said to remove the 'O' ring from the old filter and apply some of the sealing fluid in the groove. The only thing is that the 'O' ring seems quite firmly stuck and I don't want to force it unless I definitely don't need it. Another thing is that the instructions in the box say to apply a small amount of sealing fluid and on the tube it says apply liberaly. Can anyone help as I don't want to ruin the filter when fitting. Cheers Alan

Hi when I put my K&N in it was just a straight swap I didnt mess about with the airbox or seals and it works fine

So didn't you bother with the sealing fluid that came with it.

No I didnt just made sure the filter was oiled correctly.

Everytime i have fitted a K&N filter or some like it, they came already oiled from the factory.

Don't apply any more oil to it if so.

As for sealing them, i allways smear a small amount of grease round the edges and then position it in place in the airbox.

Did you get a small bag with red oil in the kit? This is air filter oil, to be applied every service interval or when it needs cleaning.

Not a clue what 'O' ring you mean though? Post a piccie then we can see.

Mark I`m guessing that the O ring is the one around the base of the air box to give a seal for the top/lid. Mine came with the oil for re wetting the filter, it was ok but always best to make sure before fitting.

Everytime i have fitted a K&N filter or some like it, they came already oiled from the factory.

Don't apply any more oil to it if so.

As for sealing them, i allways smear a small amount of grease round the edges and then position it in place in the airbox.

Did you get a small bag with red oil in the kit? This is air filter oil, to be applied every service interval or when it needs cleaning.

Not a clue what 'O' ring you mean though? Post a piccie then we can see.

Sorry not sure how to put up picture but it came in a bag pre-oiled and said no need to re-oil. Thanks

Dropped my K&N in also without removing any 'O' ring. No problems with mine either. Runs like a dream!

K&N fitted today.. I to have left the o ring gasket in as it is quite firmly fixed ..The K&N filter is designed to sit in the recess where the gasket o ring is. On installing the airbox lid it did take a little more force to completely seal i guess this is because of the 1mm ish gasket o ring making the K& N sit a little higher. The airbox seem to be sealed ok but think i would of preferred to take out the gasket (if i could of been bothered with picking it out). Bike Is running fine..lots better as the old filter was the filthiest i have ever seen ..Yuk! Hopefully this will improve my MPG. I purchased this bike in October and as the weather got wetter and colder I hadnt had the chance to ride it too hard. After a few recent good dry days i can honestly say I love this bike it's definitely a keeper :rolleyes:

K&N fitted today.. I to have left the o ring gasket in as it is quite firmly fixed ..The K&N filter is designed to sit in the recess where the gasket o ring is. On installing the airbox lid it did take a little more force to completely seal i guess this is because of the 1mm ish gasket o ring making the K& N sit a little higher. The airbox seem to be sealed ok but think i would of preferred to take out the gasket (if i could of been bothered with picking it out). Bike Is running fine..lots better as the old filter was the filthiest i have ever seen ..Yuk! Hopefully this will improve my MPG. I purchased this bike in October and as the weather got wetter and colder I hadnt had the chance to ride it too hard. After a few recent good dry days i can honestly say I love this bike it's definitely a keeper :rolleyes:

I allways apply a light slither of grease around the edges of the filter to help it seat better when they are new. They can be quite tight when new.

Glad you're getting some miles under you now. Yes, you'll love it!

new plugs fitted and whilst the airbox was open pulled the gasket out. The k&n is a much better fit without and the airbox sealed better : )

when you remove the standard airfilter you need to remove the o ring that sits in the recess, ye sit is stuck down but it peels out ok.

if you dont when you put the K&N filter in it doesnt seat right and the lid will not close without forcing it down.

remove the old seal carefully it wil lcome out, then apply the k&N grease in the recess and then the filter will sit nicly in the gap and the lid shuts properly